KTM150SX or KX250F which one?

I have outgrown my kx100 and am looking for a bigger bike I am am torn between two stroke and four stroke I like them both I often ride my dads 2008 ktm125sx and it's ok I seem to lose the front wheel around turns not sure why but anyways I just need some opinions on which wOuld be better for me I fit on both bikes fine and am fast enough to deal with the power from both I ride motocross tracks alot and ride in woods from two tracks to tight technical trails and I absolutely beat the crap out of my bikes but maintain them well o am just worried that with a four stroke that it will be hard to maintain I can rebuild the top end on my two stroke but I've never had a four stroke race bike and I'm not sure of how often I will have to maintain stuff like valves and whatnot because I definitely don't want to blow up a kx250f i really just want to know maintenance on a four stroke that needs to be done when ridden hard and what you think would be the best choice Thanks Jordan?

I loved my 06 kx250f, but I would go with the ktm 150. I have never ridden a 150, but it sounds like a better fit for what you said you do. I think the 150 will be more nimble than the 250f in the woods, and it will do just fine on the track. You already know that the 2 stroke is easier to maintain, so thats a plus. The suspension is probably just not set for you on your dads bike, so I wouldn't worry about that being a problem.

I was planning to get the 150 I just had a bad experience with two strokes today at a local track supercoops it seemed like all the 250fs were just way better in the corners they looked more planted and they got more traction somehow in the sandy loam

I was planning to get the 150 I just had a bad experience with two strokes today at a local track supercoops it seemed like all the 250fs were just way better in the corners they looked more planted and they got more traction somehow in the sandy loam

You had one bad experience and now your on the fence about a 150? All things aside, the 150 will be better in some areas and not in others. In terms of reliability, they are both good if you maintain them but when either one blows up, the KTM wont cost as much to rebuild. The 150 is lighter and equally as fast as the KXF. My opinion says lean towards the 150.

You had one bad experience and now your on the fence about a 150? All things aside, the 150 will be better in some areas and not in others. In terms of reliability, they are both good if you maintain them but when either one blows up, the KTM wont cost as much to rebuild. The 150 is lighter and equally as fast as the KXF. My opinion says lean towards the 150.

Yes I know all of this I've been eyeing the 150 for a while the 250fs just seem so easy just sit and twist the throttle but that will make me lazy and a slouch of a rider I guess I just got fatigued quick because I haven't ridden for 4 weeks due to a broken arm when I crashed in maumee state forest in Ohio i just blamed it on the fact that two strokes are harder to ride Hut I like them better

250f's are waaaay easier to ride, i was thinking of making a switch to a 150sx but i went riding friday with my 250f, when i passed my dad going into a rut and just hammering the throttle i decided to stay with my 4 stroke. Either bike is great, if you like 2 strokes, get a 2 stroke.

Yes, 4 strokes have more grip because they give the tire a bit of time to relax between the power pulses. They are also easier to ride because of the more mellow power band. But at the same time, the 150sx is the most rounded/versatile small-bore motocross bike you can buy. Its light-weight, its got more power then any 250f and it weighs 25 - 30lb less. So its much easier in the long run to throw around the track, which makes it more FUN to ride!

I am going to go with the 150 but do you all think it is worth it to get the 2012 with linkage or to just get a 2011 for a little cheaper I am leaning toward the 2012

You shouldn't limit your choices to a 2012/2011 bike.

If I were going to spend money today, I'd do exactly what I just did again. I'd buy an older used ($2k - $3K) 150 and throw the rest of the money into building up the suspension. The reason WHY the PDS system doesn't work properly is just a simple fix that many shops can perform. I went to Factory Connection and spent about $1200 bux getting my stuff built to the hilt, but you don't even have to go that far.

The end result is a stellar machine, plenty of power, awesome suspension and far better then any STOCK machine in my estimate. Plus you'll spend about 1/2 of what you would on a new machine.

The linkage bikes are awesome and all, but you'll wind up spending money on the suspension no matter what. You can't get away from that because it seems there aren't very many US KTM 2 strokes hitting the shelves. Most of them are euro setup, which is a different shock and softer springs.

i actually have a 2009 kxf250 and it has been amazzing , nothing has went wrong with it for the whole 1yr ive owned it :banghead: , i do the maintanence religiously which probably helps, but next year i am wanting to go for the 2011 or 2012 ktm 150 just because i cant afford to rebuild a 4 banger ? id go with the 150 and have some fuuuun!?

You shouldn't limit your choices to a 2012/2011 bike.

If I were going to spend money today, I'd do exactly what I just did again. I'd buy an older used ($2k - $3K) 150 and throw the rest of the money into building up the suspension. The reason WHY the PDS system doesn't work properly is just a simple fix that many shops can perform. I went to Factory Connection and spent about $1200 bux getting my stuff built to the hilt, but you don't even have to go that far.

The end result is a stellar machine, plenty of power, awesome suspension and far better then any STOCK machine in my estimate. Plus you'll spend about 1/2 of what you would on a new machine.

The linkage bikes are awesome and all, but you'll wind up spending money on the suspension no matter what. You can't get away from that because it seems there aren't very many US KTM 2 strokes hitting the shelves. Most of them are euro setup, which is a different shock and softer springs.

A softer setup isnt bad for me as i weigh a whopping 121 pounds at 5'5 and im just trying to get away from the past problem i have heard about with the 144s 150s and i figure the 2012 should be the best 150 so far

A softer setup isnt bad for me as i weigh a whopping 121 pounds at 5'5 and im just trying to get away from the past problem i have heard about with the 144s 150s and i figure the 2012 should be the best 150 so far

Yea with your weight the stock setup should be OK.

The 144 and the 150 are pretty much identical bikes, they changed the name from 144 to 150 because the first batch had an issue with blowing up. Mainly it was because of the super high compression ratio they were running. KTM had a recall on the motors, which any KTM dealer can issue. Any used bike would most likely have that "fix" done to it already. It revolves around a different piston and head. The 144 also has a 1mm larger diameter carb, which the 150 actually uses the same carb as the 125.

Needless to say an 09 150 is the same motor as the 2012 150. Its only the chassis that has changed for the 2012 and they cheapened up a few components to shave weight.

Again, if you can afford a 2012 bike, there is no reason for talking, just buy one.?

Yea with your weight the stock setup should be OK.

The 144 and the 150 are pretty much identical bikes, they changed the name from 144 to 150 because the first batch had an issue with blowing up. Mainly it was because of the super high compression ratio they were running. KTM had a recall on the motors, which any KTM dealer can issue. Any used bike would most likely have that "fix" done to it already. It revolves around a different piston and head. The 144 also has a 1mm larger diameter carb, which the 150 actually uses the same carb as the 125.

Needless to say an 09 150 is the same motor as the 2012 150. Its only the chassis that has changed for the 2012 and they cheapened up a few components to shave weight.

Again, if you can afford a 2012 bike, there is no reason for talking, just buy one.?

Facts about "cheapened" a few things up on KTMs this year? I have a 2012, it doesn't feel any cheaper then my 09!