sticky throttle tube, what to do?

the last 2 days i have rode i have noticed my throttle has been fairly sticky. if i hold it open and let it go it will just stick there, and today when i tipped over the bike redlined until i hit the kill button. i tried wd 40ing the tube at the track and didnt do anything. is it a return spring or something along the line or in the carb? thanks

more than likely dirty and gummed up in the tube and on the bar... take the tube out of the throttle housing and off of the bar, clean the inside and the bar. Reassemble, leave space between the end of the bar and inside of the tube so it doesn't stick in a crash.

how would i do that? iv never taken the throttle off of this bike? will i have to take the grip off? i just put new kevlar grips on 2 days ago and they sucked getting on

You don't have to remove the grip. Just remove the throttle cable housing (should just be 2 phillips head screws), then disconnect the throttle cables from the throttle tube. Slide the throttle tube w/grip off and clean it. Clean the handle bar really good, along with the inside of the throttle tube. Check the handle bar for any burs, and file them down if you have any. Then apply some lithium soap based grease to the handle bar where the throttle tube slides onto, and reinstall. If you don't have Bark Busters then you most likely have a closed end on your throttle tube. Make sure to leave a small gap when sliding the throttle tube back on so that the throttle tube isn't binding on the bar end. That's it, test it out. It should then snap back freely, at least until you crash on that side again! ?

One other thing, inspect the throttle tube the best you can and insure that it is not cracked, that would cause binding as well. It's only plastic, and a good hit can damage it. My throttle tubes on 2 of my bikes are cracked right now!? Had to use super glue!

Now would be a good time to lube your throttle cables as well.

what should i use to lube my throttle cables? and i probably did it when i crashed at the fall classic last weekend when i flipped in the air lmfao, when i got up my clutch perch had slidden down my bars, i was like ok cant believe i didnt brake anything only that came loose lmao. went left on a jump when i was passing and the lip pointed to nowhere and my bike fell out from under me aha, i dont know what to call it but theres a collar where the grip ends on the inside and its snapped so i might just get a new throttle tube while im at it since i already wanted one. atleast its off season.?

at the shop i work at we actually have about 6 feet of pvc tube thats capped on one end and is filled with liquid wd-40. we then submerge the entire cable into the wd-40 and shake it till wd-40 has gone through the entire cable. pull it out and wipe off the cable housing. this is probably the best way to do it but would cost you like $30 to make the pvc tubing and another $10 for the wd-40

you will use an oil can to drip the oil INTO the cable and then pull and push the cable through the housing about 10-15 times. add another drop and repeat untill you have used 8 drops. no cable lube tool needed

Not needed, but sure is quicker and cleaner.

Not needed, but sure is quicker and cleaner.

i cant agree because ive never used the lubing tool. we have them around the shop but we always use the PVC trick since its a factory shop and we need the "best" of everything? plus on my person bikes i usually have the cables off for some sort of maintenence enough times to lube them when needed. want to try the tool though!

i cant agree because ive never used the lubing tool. we have them around the shop but we always use the PVC trick since its a factory shop and we need the "best" of everything :banghead: plus on my person bikes i usually have the cables off for some sort of maintenence enough times to lube them when needed. want to try the tool though!

Just out of curiousity, how many cans of wd40 to I need to buy to fill a 6 ft piece of PVC pipe? ?

That does sound quicker, if servicing multiple bike a day in your profession.

Thanks for sharing that factory tip, never would have thought about doing something like that. Learn something new everyday on here!?

Not sure if you have done anything yet, but you mentioned you have had a few tip overs. It is possible you just pushed the throttle inward, jamming the grip into the bar. Even if you rebuild/clean your throttle up, make sure you don't tighten the throttle with the grip jamming the end of the bar.?

Just out of curiousity, how many cans of wd40 to I need to buy to fill a 6 ft piece of PVC pipe? ?

That does sound quicker, if servicing multiple bike a day in your profession.

Thanks for sharing that factory tip, never would have thought about doing something like that. Learn something new everyday on here!?

i wondered the same thing and asked my boss (ty davis) how much it takes to fill it up? he said you would be surprised with how little will fill it up. using LIQUID wd-40. not spraying a can into the tube lol. just to make sure some of the people dont miss understand. i would guess one bottle fills it. plus you really only need a pvc tube as big as your cable. we used one with like a 3-4" inside diameter and it would swallow like 50 cables at once. a smaller pvc would handle one cable at a time and have no problem with filling it up!:banghead: