Sign in to follow this  

DRZ Keys

If you need a spare key don't get all confused by the Suzuki A B C D key blank mystery.

Take your key to a local locksmith and compare it to

1) Ilco X118 also known as YH60 or YH49

2) Ilco X117 also known as YH48

These two cover the A B C D spectrum.

You'll be able to tell which of those you need by looking at your key.

My local hardware made me TWO keys that work perfectly for four bucks.

You might want to call around to better hardware stores and locksmiths - this hardware store had a bin of motorcycle key blanks. It was a true value large hardware store - Stadium Hardware in Ann Arbor in case you are closeby.

Edited by rkjjeep
Add info
  • Like 3

I originally made this post when I was reviving a 2001 E, this just worked for me again on my 2004 S.

these blanks are always available from online key suppliers if you can't find them nearby. you can look at your key and a picture of the two mentioned above to see which one you need.

Edited by rkjjeep

"S" & "SM" keys/keyblanks are NOT the same. They may look the same but the grooves are opposite of each other.

The steering lock keyblank is "Ilco SR61N," which is also a keyblank for older BMW motorcycles.

Yes, I own a keyshop, and cut keys daily for a living.

• Like 3

Are you saying that neither the ILCO 117 or ILCO 118 will fit the SM? All other available info says one of them will (they are "opposites"). For now I stand by all the info I have and all the E's, S's and SM's I have owned. I have ALWAYS been able to make a spare key out of one of those two blanks. Thanks.

Are you saying that neither the ILCO 117 or ILCO 118 will fit the SM? All other available info says one of them will (they are "opposites"). For now I stand by all the info I have and all the E's, S's and SM's I have owned. I have ALWAYS been able to make a spare key out of one of those two blanks. Thanks.

Ilco x117/YH48 = SM's

Ilco x118/YH49 = S's

Ilco SR61N = steering lock

I'm saying that the "S" key looks like the "SM" key, but the "S" key shouldn't fit in the "SM" ignition, or vice-versa.

• Like 1

Great info, thanks. The good news is that there are great alts to the dealer - a reputable locksmith and some well stocked hardware stores.

smrookie - what would be the easiest way to make a fork lock key if I do not have the original?

It gets more confusing if you lose your keys though.

Ignition key

I have a 2003 Kawasaki KLX 400 SR and lost the ignition key. Local dealer told me to pull off the ignition and bring it in then they could match the code. Only had 4 number stamped on the ignition with no letters and they could not match the code to cut a new key.

The locksmith I talked to said it would cost about 90 dollars to copy the key.

Both Suzuki and Kawasaki customer service were useless due to the fact that Kawasaki distributed the bike and Suzuki made it. They kept no records and could tell me no where else to look.

Ordered a new ignition on Bikebandit with two key blanks for 65 dollars.

Steering Lock.

This one is ever harder. On this model and year the ignition key does not work for the steering lock. It uses a smaller key. Its also located on the frame on the Head Tube or Steering Column. Local dealer said fill out a form and send it in to Kawasaki then $25 dollars charge for the labor and 8 for the key blanks. But since I cant find the code for the lock core stamped anywhere and neither the dealer, Kawasaki or Suzuki can tell me where to look for it that options out. You can buy a new lock core and two key blanks for somewhere between 40 and 55 bucks but since the old one is riveted in this will involve drilling at least. Sounds complicated and like i could screw it up. Locksmith said making a mold of the key would cost 25 bucks but im not sure he understood what it takes to get the lock core out since its riveted and since i cant start the bike to take it in for him to look at yet im kinda stuck on this one.

Anyone been through this before? Got any info that may be helpful? Thanks!

[awaits eagerly for an expert to chime in] :rolleyes: I got my bike secondhand and the steering lock key was already lost before I purchased the bike, as minor a form of security as it is I would still like the option of locking the steering head.... :cool:

My klx400 is same as the drz400e uses the same key for the ignition and steering lock

I got mine without a steering lock key – long gone. The motorcycle used to live free and safe and proud out in the country. The greatest crime committed in its vicinity was probably some nice strong moonshine being made.

I asked the authorized Suzuki dealer around here - I saw sympathy in his eyes as he said "Yeah, it's ... going to have to be drilled out. We can get you a new lock ... they're a bit more expensive than I'd like them to be."

The rivet for the steering will come out with a little prying and twisting and pulling.

Once out throw away the lock, cover and rivet and install a new ones The whole set is only.. $28

http://www.ronayers..../687/SKU/408597

Hey! Thanks!! That's good info - I hadn't thought to check the price elsewhere, this dealer is usually very reasonable. (I'm thinking I might have misunderstood the guy, that he meant that it would cost a bit to get a mechanic to perform the surgery ...)

"S" & "SM" keys/keyblanks are NOT the same. They may look the same but the grooves are opposite of each other.

The steering lock keyblank is "Ilco SR61N," which is also a keyblank for older BMW motorcycles.

Yes, I own a keyshop, and cut keys daily for a living.

hi yer could i buy a blank key of u for a 2005 drz400sm please but one problem tho, i live on an island in the south altaltic - ascension island - where do u live by the way??