Sign in to follow this  

supermoto wheels

anyone know if you can put a set of 17" supermoto wheels from any brand or make of bike on a bmw g450x as long as you get spacers and spindle set up correct. Answers on a postcard please......

Postcard answer- it all depends.

The largest considerations revolve around rotor and sprocket spacing, rotor diameter, and hub width. If you can deal with those variables, the rest is easy.

Here's my example- I own a YZ426 supermoto and a 2002 GasGas XC300. The rear rotors are different diameters and bolt patterns, so I would need to source a custom rear rotor. I would then need to determine if the rear rotor is the same distance from the center of the hub (thereby allowing me to use the OEM caliper hanger) and then the spacing from the inside of the swingarm. If the hubs are radically different in width, either direction, then I need to fabricate complicated spacers or machine the bearing surfaces. After I sort the rotor, I then get to look at the sprocket and chain alignment. If the chain is out of line, then it's a matter of moving the wheel on the spokes (offset) to get both the chain, rotor, and hub lined up in the swingarm.

The front has the same considerations, but knowing that most (not all) front SM rotors are 320mm helps narrow the options for caliper brackets. Then it's just a matter of spacing the wheel so it is centered between the forks and the rotor is centered in the caliper. Again, lots of variables. It is all what tolerance you have for fabrication and attention to detailed measurements.