Sign in to follow this  

CRF450X wiring question, signals/blinkers

Only thing you can use out of the harness is a place to grab power from. Other than that, you'll just need a switch, flasher, and signals. If you're not too keen on 12vdc, a kit like Krannie recommended would probably make it much easier.

I recently put a simple turn signal system together for my GF's CRF230F. It runs off the battery. I made up my own "harness" to run a power wire and ground to the front and rear turn signals from the battery. I used a 5A fuse on the power side. Here's the diagram I made. Seems to be working fine. These mini LED turn signals are small and you can tuck them out of the way to prevent damage on trails, however, you might want something larger for real street use. You need wire, crimp connectors, shrink tubing and a crimping tool. The LED turn signals are $25 each retail, ($100 total), the switch was $30, and the relay was $15. Total cost was $145 plus wire and crimp connectors. The front turn signals are mounted pretty close to the headlight, but the headlight is not very bright and you can see the turn signals.

TurnSignalWiringDiagram.jpg

RearTurnSignal.jpg

FrontTurnSignal.jpg

• Like 1

Sofiedog,

Your power is coming directly from the battery? Or where did you tap into the power. Otherwise that is exactly what I needed. I have the same Tusk components on order.

Elan666 and Krannie, I have a dual sport kit but it did not have blinkers. I don't think blinkers are necessary in Utah but I want the least amount of attention from the police as possible. :-)

Turn signals are not required to plate a bike in AZ, but are reqd to ride at night. Makes sense.

I added an extra wire to both the positive and negative terminals of the battery using 16ga crimp-on rings. They have a large enough hole for the 5mm bolts on the battery terminals. Make sure you use a fuse near the positive side of the battery, otherwise you could develop a serious short to ground. You can pick one up at your local auto parts store.

Because they are hooked up directly to the battery, the turn signals can be switched on (or left on by mistake) without the bike running.

Use the ground for the tail light to ground the turn signals. This circuit is only grounded while the engine is running, this way the turns can't operate at all times if left on as described in the above post.

Use the ground for the tail light to ground the turn signals. This circuit is only grounded while the engine is running, this way the turns can't operate at all times if left on as described in the above post.

:lol::thumbsup: Great idea!!