Sign in to follow this  

not an XR, but ... XL125 question

I never owned a 125 4-stroke and it's been a long time I had any XL

so please small displacement guys, help me out

it there any reason not to buy an 84 XL125 with very low mileage?

and

is there a reason to do so, other than to have another odd bike in the collection?

will I kill myself finding side panels for it?

what is the going price for an 84 XL125 in halfway decent, running condition?

thanks a million

fiep

The 84 XL125S is rather unique in the U.S along with the 85 model. It was produced overseas for many more years. Mechanically I would bet that many earlier model parts would fit or it would not be too hard to cross reference things. Same engine family as the XR185/200.

For side panels check ebay and include international listings. I have a couple of XL200R's and have almost pulled my hair out a few times trying to find model specific parts.

The bike is what it is, a 125 4 stroke, twin shocks, and probly tops out about 50. For an around town commuter or learner bike it would be nice. Fair market price around here would be $500 with title, about the same as any other older running dirt bike, I have seen a few on Craigslist. If it is in great condition and has less than 1000 miles, maybe more.

You would have to run it hard to keep up with traffic. Hills are a challenge. Fun on tight trails as long as they are pretty mellow.