Can a KTM win Baja?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Word is they are going for 2012 with the Rally 450. That engine mates the twin cam top end with a 6 speed bottom end with a big stator. Personally I think they should let Honda keep winning Baja. They win that race an believe they own the offroad racing world.

Aren't the baja bikes pretty much stock anyway? Nothing like dakar bikes which are entirely purpose built.

And no one on this side of the pond cares about baja, why?

Defiantly not stock! Just like Dakar bikes, the Baja bikes are purposely built. The difference is the Baja is a 24 hr. pit-stop style race. Gas can be staged in pre designated areas were as in Dakar the gas is further between stops so they ride with larger gas tanks.

I think KTM could easily win a Baja, But they would never risk a Dakar rider for the race. KTM is still European based so winning the Dakar is far more important than winning the Baja.

Thats what I am talking about is the bike not the KTM team. The KTM's dont seem to finish the race mechanical wise from what I have been told.

Honda will help support anyone who rides red.

I am just trying to convince a private team we should try orange and not red.

To me baja looks very dangerous, way more dangerous than dakar. And doesn't ktm make good money on baja anyway renting bikes and providing service for privateers and smaller teams?

Baja more dangerous than Dakar? UHh......No. The baja is a 24 hr race. The Dakar is 20 Days of hardcore and fast riding. No way to even compare! The fatigue the Dakar riders face is unbelievable! Watch the episodes from last year on you tube.

Seems like the '08 to '11 KTMs have some trouble with finishing. The story is usually oil related. Maybe because of the small amount of oil in the engine in this motor family. RFS KTMs from '00 to '07 have a much better reputation. We chose to run an '06 model in our run in Baja for two reasons. #1 was nearly all of our team members run an RFS so we are familiar with them and have a ton of spare parts already. #2 it has the better reputation for reliability in Baja. Maybe the 2012 will do bettersince they are ditching the separate oil for the motor and transmission.

Yes we finished all 1061 miles. The bike was perfect. No motor issues at all. Didn't use oil. Ran super strong before, during and now after the race. And that same bike was used for a whole GNCC season afterward. Our Baja teammate rode it to 3rd place overall this year. No rebuild. No issues. RFS all the way. I am never selling mine.

Thats what I am talking about is the bike not the KTM team. The KTM's dont seem to finish the race mechanical wise from what I have been told.

Honda will help support anyone who rides red.

I am just trying to convince a private team we should try orange and not red.

the mid 90s 540 dxc was a bullet proof lethal weapon, maybe resurrect one

so you can belch out some sweet smelling two stroke oil all over the Mexican country side:ride:

Seems like the '08 to '11 KTMs have some trouble with finishing. The story is usually oil related. Maybe because of the small amount of oil in the engine in this motor family. RFS KTMs from '00 to '07 have a much better reputation. We chose to run an '06 model in our run in Baja for two reasons. #1 was nearly all of our team members run an RFS so we are familiar with them and have a ton of spare parts already. #2 it has the better reputation for reliability in Baja. Maybe the 2012 will do bettersince they are ditching the separate oil for the motor and transmission.

Yes we finished all 1061 miles. The bike was perfect. No motor issues at all. Didn't use oil. Ran super strong before, during and now after the race. And that same bike was used for a whole GNCC season afterward. Our Baja teammate rode it to 3rd place overall this year. No rebuild. No issues. RFS all the way. I am never selling mine.

what did you do about the crappy brakes and clutch squak?

I know some have modified the first gen xc4 ('08-'11) oil system to be just one like rfs used to be. In theory it increases engine oil change intervals and probability of failure in case of heavy oil consumption or leak. Probably has an impact on oile temps as well. I don't know what kind of a system honda uses in their racers, but that shouldn't be an issue anyway as long as oil transfer issues are taken care of. From technical point of view there should be no reason ktm can't win, maybe just inexperienced mechanics who do stupid mistakes?

Well maintained stock brakes are plenty good and clutch squak is not an issue if it happens at all. You can decrease the sound by using right oil and abusing the clutch more. I tend to get bad squak when using mobil 1 car oil (because it's the only thing which can be started at -20C) and commuting where clutch is hardly used.

what did you do about the crappy brakes and clutch squak?

Don't know what you are talking about. I have never ridden a KTM with crappy brakes. As for clutch sqawk... didn't notice any. My bike sqawks a little bit when I abuse it a lot. But I have 435hours on mine with the original plates. (replaced the springs once because one was out of spec).

just returned from there - and honda has a stranglehold on it...just the best riders and the best support, pre running, pits, insider knowledge etc...

I'd love to see another manufacturer win though.

The new gen ktm's have not been holding up...not sure why - but hot word is something with oil under prolonged wot.

Almost everyone runs oil coolers on the hondas, both for reduced oil temps, but also for added oil capacity...

Don't know what you are talking about. I have never ridden a KTM with crappy brakes. As for clutch sqawk... didn't notice any. My bike sqawks a little bit when I abuse it a lot. But I have 435hours on mine with the original plates. (replaced the springs once because one was out of spec).

I have a 05 450 exc my buddy has a 04 brakes are the worst I have ever felt. spongey. As a matter of fact several guys I ride with have the same issue. And the rear brake heats up and fades bad.

112 hours on my bike. I have rebuilt the master cleaned the caliper changed pads. Still crappy. Guys on this forum also have the same problem. They are saying zip tie the brake lever to the handle bar over night and if parked turn the bars to the left. Is this a joke or what? And for squawk both bikes do it both have very low hours. Its very common. brakes and clutch need work IMO to make the KTM feel up to par with Honda.

And a big company thats been around for as long as KTM should know better.

Other wise a great bike!