Las Vegas to Reno 2012, anyone going??

Just wondering if anyone is doing this race? What modifications are best to do a race like this?? I am thinking changing sprokets to get higher top speeds, but by how much? And fuel tanks? What size is ideal for this race? Not sure the distance between pits? Steering dampener? Best Lights? Lots of options here.

Biggest stretch between pits is 60 miles, an IMS 3.2 will do fine.

Gearing should be 15/47 if you can pull it, 14/47 if you can't.

Read their rulebook twice. There are things that you must do to prepare the bike like wiring spokes, reflectors, number size, blinking red lights, etc.

It's a great race, you'll have the time of your life.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for the info. What do you mean by 15/47 if I can pull it? My bike is stock 2009 450x. I was just thinking about opening up the air box and some jetting. Any idea about top speed with a 15 in the front? I seem to be topping out at about 125 km/h now.

Thanks

thanks for the info. What do you mean by 15/47 if I can pull it? My bike is stock 2009 450x. I was just thinking about opening up the air box and some jetting. Any idea about top speed with a 15 in the front? I seem to be topping out at about 125 km/h now.

Thanks

My friends 450X that ran it last year hit 114 mph (183kph) on the dry lake section. The engine is heavily modded though.

I'll be there. Going to attempt a solo run. I figure i have a few months of training to get ready but here in utah its getting cold. We're going out tomorrow to ride with a forecast of 33 deg and 30% chance of snow.? I'm going to hit the Parker 250 in Jan. to start my racing year.

As for modifications i think the most important things are; suspension and rider comfort. Get your suspension done and get your bike set up for the best comfort while on the pegs, this includes a steering dampener. The key to a race like V2R is being able to ride smooth with as little energy as possible. If you find your pace and the bike is set up you can ride and ride and ride....

I would also run bibs, instead of tubes and buy or borrow an extra set of wheels ready to go with rubber. As for tires, and this is just my 2 cents, i recommend the Maxxis Desert IT or the Bridgstone Gritty ED78 for the rear and the Dunlop MX71 up front. Get an HID light which also means a rewound stator, and possibly a helmet light or two, a couple extra filters and a good pit crew.

And try to get some sponsor support. I'm working on getting some sponsorship myself. So far i've got MX1West and Lone Peak Packs www.lonepeakpacks.com Mostly geared towards bicycle panniers but they also make some great hydration and fanny packs which i use.

Edited by georover1

I am doing V2R also. It will be my first 500+ mile solo race. I have been reading everything that I can to learn as much as possible about it. The "ride smooth to expend as little energy as possible" advice is possibly to best advice I have found. I have had the opportunity to ride in Baja with Tim from Baja Bound and about 1/2 way thru the second day it hit me, that is the way this guy rides. I was always doing berm shots, hitting every jump in the trail, etc., but to get in the distance, you need to ride smooth. 15/47 gearing, front mouse, steering stabilizer, suspension revalve; I am going to do what has already been done by many others and is proven. The long distance training rides are the hard part though. Riding buddies are usually up for 50-60 miles, then chicken wings and a beer! Who wants to do 100 miles and eat a P&J!

zack you nailed it! riding buddies only want to do 50-60 miles and then stop and drink beer the rest of the day which is fine when your not trying to get ready for 500 mile run

100 miles PB&J and then another 100 miles back

I did the race with two other riders in 08 on a XR650. We ran a Mouse Bib Front. ( based off our experience with it I can't recommend it) Skid plate, Factory Connection Suspension. The key for us coming from Texas was getting the jetting correct.

I have a CR500 now, which I'm going to race the Shorter distance parker 250 in AZ this Jan as a shakedown for whether I want to attempt the V2R on that 500 next year. Back In 07, there was a kid on a Service Honda CR500 who finished 1 hour 40 minutes behind Johnny Campbell and Team Honda.

Gear your bike for top speed. Like 14/42, make sure your jetting is on. Halfway through V2R the elevation kicks up a bit and if your air filter is all clogged from the earlier siltbeds your bike will be a pooch. Plus it'll use more gas. last 3 years I've had great luck running the tubliss tire system and would recommend that over the Moouse Bib.. Opinions vary.

Logistics and gas stops are crucial. We had one chase truck, and ended up skipping the farthermost remote pit. Almost ran outa gas in the process.

if you've never done a race that long or that fast and rough, I'd recommend teaming it, because its no fun having the trucks swallow you up, and its no fun trying to push beyond your known limits, at high speed, in a dangerous environment when your spent due to mis-calculation.

If you have questions that need answering maybe try something Shorter like Parker? Its a good test-bed if you can afford the extra time, travel, and expense?

Good Luck Mang!

Why? The 650 was probably pushing it for the bib. Weight, speed....

Bruce Oglvie Recommended them as the only way to go. He said they're equivalent to a 16lbs tube.

When ours arrived and we installed it, it felt like 3lbs. The tire felt like it wanted to flop over on the rim. It was like racing on a flat tire. Rocks beat the front wheel to pieces and cratered it. It sucked.

I talked to him later and told him it sucked big time. Then he said something that was like the last bit of info I wish I had known, "We get ours straight from Michlen and they're always great!"

You know, as a regular goon, I can't call up Michlen and say, gimme the freshest Bib you got. I gotta order one from RockyMountain, and see what I get. Obviously we got an old one, ? I was never willing to spend $130.00 to find out. I thought the feel was horrible.

Soon as I tried the Tubliss I thought, now this feels like a tire should. My experience.

Bruce Oglvie Recommended them as the only way to go. He said they're equivalent to a 16lbs tube.

When ours arrived and we installed it, it felt like 3lbs. The tire felt like it wanted to flop over on the rim. It was like racing on a flat tire. Rocks beat the front wheel to pieces and cratered it. It sucked.

I talked to him later and told him it sucked big time. Then he said something that was like the last bit of info I wish I had known, "We get ours straight from Michlen and they're always great!"

You know, as a regular goon, I can't call up Michlen and say, gimme the freshest Bib you got. I gotta order one from RockyMountain, and see what I get. Obviously we got an old one, ? I was never willing to spend $130.00 to find out. I thought the feel was horrible.

Soon as I tried the Tubliss I thought, now this feels like a tire should. My experience.

Sounds like you may have received the wrong size. They make an 80 and a 90/100. You probably got the 80. They should be equivalent to a 13-16psi tire. My riding buddy was still running his front bib until about a month ago that he used in the 2010 Baja.

At least tubliss is working for you.

I've done V2R twice so far as part of a 3 person team and we were fortunate enough to podium last year in our class (open am). As you can tell, opinions vary on equipment, but our setup both times was as follows and worked very well:

xr650r - stock motor, no vented side plate, aftermarket exhaust, pumper carb, UNI filter, the usual protective bits

15/48 gearing - could honestly go higher

Trailtech HID racelight and helmet lights

Bib front/UHD rear w/slime (bridgestone)

D606 front (moving to MX51 for next year)/D739AT rear

Rob Barnum suspension

IMS 3.2 dry break

I would strongly advise against using TuBliss for this race, I run them on my trail bike but I want to finish the V2R with a minimum of hassles and the bib/UHD combo gives me that piece of mind that I can pound through rocks, cactus, crashed alien spacecraft, etc... if need be, with little concern.

BITD puts on a great event, very well run IMO. Don't stress about tech, its very quick and more to ensure you and your bike are safe (hydration system, current helmet, required rear facing flashing light). We zip tie our spokes for piece of mind and I would strongly suggest that or safety wire. Do everything you can to make sure your bike will make it to the finish, have it as fresh as possible, think about zip tying spare levers to the frame and carry a spare air filter, goggles and gloves along with some power bars/gel/whatever you like.

I'd love to move over to a 450x for the lighter weight and e-start, but there is that $$ thing to contend with, haha.

As others have said, pace yourself and remember to have fun! Most importantly though, don't let anything get in your way of making it to the starting line, its well worth it if only for that feeling of exhilaration of getting the green light and hitting the gas as you head off into the desert for 500 miles of adventure!

What do you guys plan on taking with you? I mean on you (on your body/bike) during the race. I saw levers zapped on etc. How about small tool kit? What style of carrier is best for a long race. Do I strap what I can to the bike, in a hydration backpack, or hip/fanny pack? Best tool combo to take care of small race stopping breakdowns? I was getting ready to cut open my airbox, but now I am thinking to hold off on that to keep my filters as clean as possible. How long does the tire mousse last for? Should I train on one or just get one prior to the race? Thanks again everyone, your info could make this race do-able for me this year.

What do you guys plan on taking with you? I mean on you (on your body/bike) during the race. I saw levers zapped on etc. How about small tool kit? What style of carrier is best for a long race. Do I strap what I can to the bike, in a hydration backpack, or hip/fanny pack? Best tool combo to take care of small race stopping breakdowns? I was getting ready to cut open my airbox, but now I am thinking to hold off on that to keep my filters as clean as possible. How long does the tire mousse last for? Should I train on one or just get one prior to the race? Thanks again everyone, your info could make this race do-able for me this year.

Steve, what bike are you riding? I know that my wife's CRF250X (with minimal cutting on the airbox) air filter stays MUCH cleaner than the air filter on my CRF450R with a very open (but stock) air box.

Hey, Angry Shawn, I read your V2R race report on your website, great info!

A bib should easily last you on V2R and then some. Get one and do a couple rides, but they shouldn't feel much different than a tube. As for tools, what i did was took a look at what i use when i service the bike and purchased smaller, lighter versions. Here is whats in my hip pack. And i would recommend carrying tools on you and not the bike. Stubby open end wrenches 8mm 10mm 12mm 13mm, a Leatherman or multitool, an adjustable wrench for the larger bolts (probably overkill but i'd rather have it than not), compact socket set/screwdriver bits with the afore mentioned socket sizes, various allen wrenches (check the bike for the sizes you use most), zip ties, matches, an Altoid tin with various nuts and bolts, another Altoid tin with a small length of chain and a couple master links, chain tool, a tube of aluminum Quiksteel, and on that tube i wrap a good length of duct tape at one end, electrical tape at the other, and a bit of safety wire in the middle. I also take a few various size rubber bands cut from old tubes. In my pack now i also carry items to change/fix a flat, front tube, tire irons, C02 pump w/cartridges, patches and glue, but that is weight that can be eliminated with bibs.

As for the airbox, if your bike is running well and has the power you want leave it. Mine was cut by the previous owner and it gets slightly dirtier faster.

A bib should easily last you on V2R and then some. Get one and do a couple rides, but they shouldn't feel much different than a tube. As for tools, what i did was took a look at what i use when i service the bike and purchased smaller, lighter versions. Here is whats in my hip pack. And i would recommend carrying tools on you and not the bike. Stubby open end wrenches 8mm 10mm 12mm 13mm, a Leatherman or multitool, an adjustable wrench for the larger bolts (probably overkill but i'd rather have it than not), compact socket set/screwdriver bits with the afore mentioned socket sizes, various allen wrenches (check the bike for the sizes you use most), zip ties, matches, an Altoid tin with various nuts and bolts, another Altoid tin with a small length of chain and a couple master links, chain tool, a tube of aluminum Quiksteel, and on that tube i wrap a good length of duct tape at one end, electrical tape at the other, and a bit of safety wire in the middle. I also take a few various size rubber bands cut from old tubes. In my pack now i also carry items to change/fix a flat, front tube, tire irons, C02 pump w/cartridges, patches and glue, but that is weight that can be eliminated with bibs.

As for the airbox, if your bike is running well and has the power you want leave it. Mine was cut by the previous owner and it gets slightly dirtier faster.

That is my exact tool strategy as well, though I probably have a few more bits in my pack just because I'm paranoid :bonk:

speaking of paranoid, I also carried four large hose clamps just in case I had a rear flat I could hose clamp the tire to the rim to make sure it didn't shred on the way to the next pit (I also ran two rear rim locks).