Sign in to follow this  

WR or KTM

I know this is discussed to death, BUT I had a WR(05) for years and sold when I didnt ride much. Now I want another one but do 50/50 MX/offroad etc.ALL my friends have the 300 and the advantage for MX(VET/social) seems to be that +-12kg weight saving of 300.Anyone went down the same road as me on this decision.I'm torn apart here!:lol:

I have a WR450 and my previous bike was a 300EXC. It depends on your preference for 4t vs 2t. I think both bikes would work fine for that application if the suspension is set up properly. You can replace the oem battery on the WR with a lithium one and save some weight. You can take the starter off also.

Personally, if I were going to spend a lot of time on the Mx track, and wanted to be competitive, I'd get a YZ450. For woods riding, you can soften the valving a litte. I don't know how the new KTM 300's are but my '04 was a little squirrely in the front end. Might have something to do with the rake, as it was designed to be a woods bike. I feel that my '06 WR450 is has better stability that the 300 did in every situation and would be my preference for track.

I've ridden both, but never owned the 300. I own an 07' WR450F, and absolutely love it. Wouldn't trade it for anything but an FI WR. That being said, I love the 300 as well. I guess it just a matter of deciding whether you want a 2T or 4T. Both bikes are outstanding and you can't go wrong with either decision you make. If you want to do 50% track, I'd definately look into swapping to YZF forks, since the WR forks are a little soft for any serious MX applications.

If you are going anywhere near a mx track you want a 300

I have a 04 and bought it after years off. It wasnt till I rode and loaded a lighter bike did I realize I could still pick a motorcycle up to put on the stand or roll up a ramp into a truck with no problem.

I was able to compensate for the weight of my WR and have fun, but a heavy bike is a heavy bike

Im not saying WRs are junk. They are great bikes. I feel the 300 is a better choice for a wider range of conditions. There is a reason 95% of the bikes at off road events are KTMs

I've ridden both, and they're both great bikes. It honestly boils down to:

1). Do you want a 2t or a 4t?

2). What color do you like?

Then go buy what you want. Another thing to note is, you'll prolly get a better deal on a WR than any KTM. At least around here, most KTM's go for MSRP and not a penny less. I got my WR for almost 3500 under sticker.

Go with an XC250 ktm. if u ride half moto half woods its the perfect bike. The 300 is a little more tame than the 250. The 250 will light up quicker and rocket out of corners on the moto, and oh yeah its one HELL of a woods bike too. i love mine. Id take my 250 over a 300 anyday

As I was just saying in another thread, it depends alot your weight, strength and 2t/4t preference. If you are a big guy, you might be ok on the WR. I have a 2001 WR426 and a 2007 KTM 300 XC. The WR has been a great trail bike, but its a little heavy. I am 6' 180 lbs, so the weight wears me out after a day of riding. The KTM is a better handling bike, its about 30 lbs lighter than my WR, has less high centered rotational weight, and the gas tank sits very low which puts alot of the weight in the center of the bike. The 300 also has tons of low end torque. The 250c XC is definitely more pipey and might make a better MX bike, but you cant beat the 300 off road. The 300 XC is the best trail bike I have owned. FWW, I bought my KTM from a guy that rode only MX and I ride only trails...thats versitile.

I wouldnt ride a WR on MX tracks...its going to be way too heavy and its not geared for MX.

txs guys,will seriously have to test a few 250/300's as I have owned WR.

Thanks for the opinions!

If you have never spent time on a 2 stroke one ride will probably not be very convincing. They do have to be ridden differently than a 4 stroke. More shifting and clutch work is needed to keep them singing but they will reward you with a big smile. If you really do spend 50% of your time at the track you should also consider 450 MX bikes. They work great on the track and great on the trail unless you ride a lot of technical stuff. If you do ride a lot of technical stuff, the 300 can’t be beat and it works OK on the track.

CoKTM

Txs Coktm, I totally agree with you. I actuall have spent most of my 29 "riding years" on two strokes until I got my '05 WR450. I Fell in love!!loved it offroad(you can get away with being "lazy" and still have a blast pulling wheelies all over!!River beds were a bit more work with weight etc.BUT I didnt enjoy it at our local SANDY track(last racing a YZ250 2T) although suspension was way too soft - I could have fixed that though.

I actually still have very soft spot for the 2T's but last two KTM's I rode ('03&'07) front end felt "skitterish"-if thats even a word!! I hear its got better with rake design, 85% of my riding buddies cant be wrong with their KTM's surely!!?