Sign in to follow this  

Whats needed to remove a steahly FWW?

I took my stator cover off of my 2005 rm 250 to change my clutch cable and discovered a Steahly FWW. Im thinking about removing it. I can see the FWW and a nut barely threaded on after it. I tried putting it in gear and standing on the rear brake and tryed to remove the nut counter clockwise but its on there tight, is it reverse thread? Without the Fww would the bike explode into the power faster? Would I still need to fan the clutch to clear jumps right out of corners to get the bike into the power? Im coming off a 450 with no flywheel weight so Im still changing up my ride style to the 2t.

Easiest way is to use an air impact gun, it will spin right off.

Yes it will make the bike hit harder, but it will also be less easy to control. I recently switched from an RMZ450 to a 2007 RM250. After riding without FWW for a bit I put an 8oz stealthy on. It helps the engine keep momentum and will reduce the need to clutch it.

Edited by PitRacer

If you dont have an impact gun you can use a piece of nylon rope. take out your spark plug and feed the rope down the hole being careful not to get into your intake or exhaust ports and spin the motor until it stops. or you can actually buy a real piston stop that screws into the spark plug hole. i've done all three ways and an impact gun is by far the fastest and easiest and most expensive. I like my RM the best with out a flywheel weight but its all preference and yes it will rev faster with out a weight but also stall easier. it should have a number on the front but weighing it is the easiest way to tell what you have.

i do the method that PREMIX states with the rope, works easy as and yes it is reverse thread

if i remember correctly (from when i put my FWW on) the FWW itself is reverse threaded, but the NUT is standard thread....

if i remember correctly (from when i put my FWW on) the FWW itself is reverse threaded, but the NUT is standard thread....

Correct :lol:

Correct :lol:

I'm pretty sure on that also.

does the 05 rm 250 need a washer before the flywheel nut or did it not come with one?

no washer

awsome thanks. getting the dang nut off is a pain. Might have to order a engine stop boldt/plug or go visit a friend with an impact wrench.

I'm not fancy-schmancy enough to own any air-tools, but bought an electric impact for about $50 (Craftsman) years ago... works well for flywheel/clutch removal.