Sign in to follow this  

sneaky cam chain trick

would i be able to do this with my 2010 yz250f? i wouldnt grind or weld i have a full chain tool kit wich also does cam chains. how much harder is it to do it the proper way

YZ cam chains are continuous so this trick cannot be used. Changing the cam chain on a YZ is pretty easy though, just pull the flywheel and the chain guide off, as well as one of the cams, drop the chain down through the top, loop it on the sprocket and put it back together.

I was just getting ready to ask how to swap out timing chains on this bike, you said the chain guide needs to come off? I thought it was only possible to remove that with the head off correct?

I was just getting ready to ask how to swap out timing chains on this bike, you said the chain guide needs to come off? I thought it was only possible to remove that with the head off correct?

Sorry, I should have clarified. I meant the chain guide behind the flywheel. There is a guide behind the flywheel that is held on with a couple screws that prevents the chain from being able to come off the bottom sprocket. Take this off and you can pull the chain off of the sprocket and over the end of the crank and pull the chain out (or drop the old chain down from the top and pull the whole thing out of the bottom, either way works).

Edited by KJ790

Sorry, I should have clarified. I meant the chain guide behind the flywheel. There is a guide behind the flywheel that is held on with 2 screws that prevents the chain from being able to come off the bottom sprocket. Take this off and you can pull the chain off of the sprocket and over the end of the crank and pull the chain out (or drop the old chain down from the top and pull the whole thing out of the bottom, either way works).

Thanks for clarifying i looked at my manual as well and answered my question. :lol:

ok thanks. im thinking of doing the cam chain, chain guides, piston and rings. can any one link me a good how to video on cam chains?