BEST soft TERRAIN tire EVER (front)!!

i just wanted to say that with ony a small contact patch from 2 wheels... tire selection is SUPER CRITICAL

suspension...chassis...engine....all of it uses only the small contact patch of your tire to make contact with the planet.... if that patch aint hooking up, none of the rest matters...

i have ridden off road michigan my whole life on dirt bikes.... soft terrain and sand is most of it....

and i have tested soooo many tires....

sort terrain tires work better on hard than hard terrains work in the loose....and most of michigan is soft terrain anyways... so i dont care a bit for hard terrain tires except for my street bike

anyways.... when front tires have lateral rows of knobs, one knob seems to only block the next from getting a good bite.... they HAVE to be staggered to get lateral grip for turning..!! when the center knobs are split the tire resists slipping to either side on rock, logs, anything.... even when its straight up...

then since the knob rows are staggered.... there isn't a knob blocking another knobs bite as the lean angle increases.... each knob gets its own shot at digging in...

sooooo

BEST FRONT all around off road dirt bike tire OF ALL TIME:

BRIDGESTONE M59.....!!!!

i have tested and found quite a few rear tires that work well... so i would have to sort through them to pick a clear winner.... but for the front, the choice was easy.....

worst front tire i have ever run was a front version of a dunlop 752...

the 752 worked great on the back for lots of soft to intermediate terrain.... rows of knobs that act like semi-paddles ....

the front version had all the lateral grip of ring baloney.... great for eye stretching exercises when you are trying to turn in the woods....!!

lets hear other tire test evaluations

the crf250 crowd had good stuff to add....

anybody on a 450 think tires make a difference??

I have been running the Dunlop MX51 on the rear and a MX31 on the front. The mx31 is a soft terrain tire but it seems to work really well in all conditions. the mx51 on the rear is hands down the best woods tire made, it is the updated version of the Dunlop 756. As for your bridgestone tires I wouldnt give you a nickel for 100 of them. I tried a set of them and never in my life have I had a front tire wash out as bad as that one. It done it with no warning. Riding along and next thing you know BAM face plant cause the front tire washed out.

On another note my sponsor gave me a set of Sedona tires to try and thats what I am running right now. They seem to be decent tires, especially for the money. I think they would be awesome on a 2-stroke, cause the only problem I am having with them is ripping the lugs off.?

in fairness i have not tried that tire, but switch wheels from a buddy that has a Michelin S12xc mounted and you MIGHT change your mind. In FTR harescrambles down here in FL, it is used by easily 1/3 to 1/2 of the riders/racers. And that is on all makes/models from a KTM 200 to our CRF450r.. The wide foot print having the outer row of knobs helps keep the front end from plowing as much as the narrower Michelin MS3, and there must be something to the design of the carcas. I have had fast A rider buddies quickly take a brand new dunlop front off their bike and put the used S12xc back on before a race (following the practice loop)..

just one more opinion, but it easily the most popular tire amoung the riders and racers i am around on a weekly basis.

in fairness i have not tried that tire, but switch wheels from a buddy that has a Michelin S12xc mounted and you MIGHT change your mind. In FTR harescrambles down here in FL, it is used by easily 1/3 to 1/2 of the riders/racers. And that is on all makes/models from a KTM 200 to our CRF450r.. The wide foot print having the outer row of knobs helps keep the front end from plowing as much as the narrower Michelin MS3, and there must be something to the design of the carcas. I have had fast A rider buddies quickly take a brand new dunlop front off their bike and put the used S12xc back on before a race (following the practice loop)..

just one more opinion, but it easily the most popular tire amoung the riders and racers i am around on a weekly basis.

What is better in sandy conditions an MX31 or S12XC? Which wears better?

Which is more versatile in intermediate conditions?

All I ride is singletrack on a 200exc with a Dunlop 756 up front that is starting to wear

It washes out in the sand but is not bad in intermediate conditions & has held up well. Back tire is a washougal, it wears like iron & works pretty good

is this an intentional repost of this thread?

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1023292

best front I've ever used is the S12XC, I tore knobs off the regular S12

I have a set of metzler 6 days extremes on my gasgas, and they work really good in the sand here in north carolina, the rear will probably scare you if your on a ktm, it wants to slide on high speed sweepers under WOT conditions, not a problem on the gasgas

is this an intentional repost of this thread?

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1023292

best front I've ever used is the S12XC, I tore knobs off the regular S12

I have a set of metzler 6 days extremes on my gasgas, and they work really good in the sand here in north carolina, the rear will probably scare you if your on a ktm, it wants to slide on high speed sweepers under WOT conditions, not a problem on the gasgas

? yup, they really improved a decent tire with that S12xc.. as you said, way less tearing off the side knobs. No idea what changed exactly, but you can keep riding the thing (unless your flat tracking on some hardpack) and will wear the sharp edges down now way before you chunk the knobs.

I agree about a reposting.. not really sure why it was posted in this forum.

What is better in sandy conditions an MX31 or S12XC? Which wears better?

Which is more versatile in intermediate conditions?

All I ride is singletrack on a 200exc with a Dunlop 756 up front that is starting to wear

It washes out in the sand but is not bad in intermediate conditions & has held up well. Back tire is a washougal, it wears like iron & works pretty good

Have no idea .. I'm a Michelin rider, all i use is the s12xc (or on rare occasions in harder terrain the ms3). IT WILL work amazingly on your 200exc for single track, sand, soft to interm. stuff. You WILL like it.?

if you guys look at the tread pattern of a lot of the front tires you are saying are working well.... you will see its VERY similar to the bridgestone m59's.... which are a split center knob of the earlier m39's....

we are talking 15 years ago for the m39's that started all this staggered tread pattern so that one knob doesnt block the biting edge of another when lateral/ lean traction is needed.....

bridgestone had it first... then refined it.... and everyone else realized it and got busy copying it?

if you guys look at the tread pattern of a lot of the front tires you are saying are working well.... you will see its VERY similar to the bridgestone m59's.... which are a split center knob of the earlier m39's....

we are talking 15 years ago for the m39's that started all this staggered tread pattern so that one knob doesnt block the biting edge of another when lateral/ lean traction is needed.....

bridgestone had it first... then refined it.... and everyone else realized it and got busy copying it?

who cares who got it first.. (and your saying b-stones did is open for debate). There is more to a tire than just a tread pattern, and there is a reason there are more Michelin S12xc tires used in offroad racing than any other. Compound, carcas design, AND tread pattern all add up to make a tire. .

who cares who got it first.. (and your saying b-stones did is open for debate). There is more to a tire than just a tread pattern, and there is a reason there are more Michelin S12xc tires used in offroad racing than any other. Compound, carcas design, AND tread pattern all add up to make a tire. .

i have about 40 years of michigan off road riding under my belt.... and i have tried almost every tire brand and style made for soft terrain..... almost...

i don't EVER make ANY suggestionsto anyone unless it is based on LOTS of testing...

i don't care who runs what on anything unless i test it myself...

when i suggest something it never starts with:

"based on a sample of almost nothing.............."

the soft terrain michelins are great tires.... in my experience they are NOT better than the m59's.... and they wear out more quickly....a lot.....

i have about 40 years of michigan off road riding under my belt.... and i have tried almost every tire brand and style made for soft terrain..... almost...

i don't EVER make ANY suggestionsto anyone unless it is based on LOTS of testing...

i don't care who runs what on anything unless i test it myself...

when i suggest something it never starts with:

"based on a sample of almost nothing.............."

the soft terrain michelins are great tires.... in my experience they are NOT better than the m59's.... and they wear out more quickly....a lot.....

so.. if we are able to quantify your "opinion" (looks almost like SPAM from b-stone however)

1- how many hours a week do you ride

2- do you race

3- if "yes" to #2.. what class

4- if "yes" to #2 AND #3 above.. how well do you do/did you do?

5- as far as "soft terrain" .. where do you ride? Michigan? Your terrain is soft compared to Florida? Ok.. LOL

6 you really have significant data to compare the Michelin S12xc vs the b-stone your smammin about?

7 - be sure to send emails to the 3/4 of the harescramble A and AA riders running the S12 down here thye are "doin it wrong" lol !

Seriously though, it was pretty rediculous to post this in a bike forum honestly.

so.. if we are able to quantify your "opinion" (looks almost like SPAM from b-stone however)

1- how many hours a week do you ride

2- do you race

3- if "yes" to #2.. what class

4- if "yes" to #2 AND #3 above.. how well do you do/did you do?

5- as far as "soft terrain" .. where do you ride? Michigan? Your terrain is soft compared to Florida? Ok.. LOL

6 you really have significant data to compare the Michelin S12xc vs the b-stone your smammin about?

7 - be sure to send emails to the 3/4 of the harescramble A and AA riders running the S12 down here thye are "doin it wrong" lol !

Seriously though, it was pretty rediculous to post this in a bike forum honestly.

Thanks for the input.

I am going to try both, All those Florida riders & Megadeth must be on to something with the S12XC, on the other hand the M59 originally came with the bike & appears to be well suited to Michigan trails similar to the reforested sandy areas in my area. I will let you know what works best next spring:busted:, now that it is cold as hell, thee olde 756 will need some ice racing studs:banghead: I hate winter

Thanks for the input.

I am going to try both, All those Florida riders & Megadeth must be on to something with the S12XC, on the other hand the M59 originally came with the bike & appears to be well suited to Michigan trails similar to the reforested sandy areas in my area. I will let you know what works best next spring:busted:, now that it is cold as hell, thee olde 756 will need some ice racing studs:banghead: I hate winter

glad you were actually able to find something positive from my post of questions..!! LOL.? i was actually giving that other guy a hard time. Don't worry about trying tires. There are few bad ones. Even michelin had a turd of a rear tire.. i think it was the m12. It was good for nothing but hard flat rocky surfaces..

MELK-MAN

you know you don't get an award for paying more for similar performance , right??

you strike me as the kind of guy who thinks they automatically win if they spent more.... you know, like a harley rider thinking they are a mecenary/pimp/drug dealer/lone wolf.... because they just paid $500 for sharkskin chaps that will never see dust or rain

lol.... j/k

you know i have a man crush on you cuz you went all tough on me...?

• 5 months later...

MELK-MAN

you know you don't get an award for paying more for similar performance , right??

you strike me as the kind of guy who thinks they automatically win if they spent more.... you know, like a harley rider thinking they are a mecenary/pimp/drug dealer/lone wolf.... because they just paid $500 for sharkskin chaps that will never see dust or rain

lol.... j/k

you know i have a man crush on you cuz you went all tough on me... ?

lol.. just saw this post, good stuff..LOL. And im with keeproostin and mr.Blah above. s12xc is an amazin tire. That said, the michelin ms3 front with a slightly narrower tread pattern is what i slap on the bike for the harescrambles where we have more open field sections during the time of year when the ground is harder. There is more tread pattern on the ground with a little less lean using the ms3 and it will bite better in the harder pack stuff (where your not dragging your bars in a sandy berm)..

I don't know if it costs more or not, as i said in an earlier post i had not ridden the other tire. But i do know there is more to a tire than just a tread pattern. The construction of the sidewalls has A LOT to do with how a tire feels. I know guys in my Sr "A" class that have come in from a sighting loop with a new dunlop front, and put the OLD michelin s12xc front back on as there is that much difference in "feel" from the carcass construction. Same with roadrace tires.. Dunlop, B-stones, pirelli and Michelin all have different characteristics.. The pirelli being the softest carcass of them all. It gives a VERY odd "squishy" feeling on the front to a faster rider coming from a michelin or dunlop front. BUT, they really do grip very well. Turning characteristics and braking feel are very different between roadrace tires too.. SO, it would stand to reason that mx tires will have different feel as well, but to a lesser extent as dirt is always moving and changing and pavement is a bit more consistant.

Edited by MELK-MAN

Tires are like food....you can eat almost anything to get by...but everyone has their favorites.

That being said I like the Washougal stickys for soft intermediate terrain....feels like I am on rails and I actually had to adjust my riding style to the aggressive turns they wanted to make.