Sign in to follow this  

Rekluse Clutches - z Pro vs Core EXP

Hi Everyone!

First, thanks for taking the time to read my question - truly appreciated knowing how busy folks are these days!!

I recently got back into riding - picked up a 07 KTM 450 SXF. I recognize it's built for MX, but I hope to convert it over to trails and one of my 1st purchses is going to be a Rekluse auto-clutch - however, what I can't decide is whether I should buy a z Pro or the Core EXP.

I've talked to Rekluse and most of the guys there will tell you to go with the Core EXP - you get all the advantages of the z Pro with better clutch feel. I did have one guy tell me that if you plan on going w/o a clutch lever (which I may), then he'd stick with the z Pro.

From reading - my biggest concern w/ the z Pro would be the engagement of the clutch (with or w/o a clutch lever) - does it hook up quick enough to allow you get the front wheel up quickly for logs, drops, etc.?? Also, I've read the backward free wheel can be troublesome, but I think this can be controlled with throttle modulation.

Anyhow, I'd really apprecaite any input from folks with experience with these clutches!!

Thanks much!!!

The Z-Pro was the best mod I have ever done to a dirtbike. I have an 09 YZ450f and the Z works perfect. I have never had any issues with the freewheeling some have noticed. I have Rekluse set so it is pulling slightly at idle, so there is no problem getting the tire up if need to--it is basically always pulling--there is no lag or slip when you crack the throttle from a stop. The biggest advantage I can see to the EXP is the feel of the clutch, but I have done 100 mile desert races and never even touched the clutch lever, so the feel is not too important to me. For the price difference, I would get the Z. If money were not an issue, I would get the EXP.

I prefer the zpro to the core exp2, I can't get my core exp2 to engage as smooth as my zpro does

My Z works awesome. I've never had a Core EXP, so I can't compare. I was in your situation earlier this year when I picked up my 09 YZ450F and the thing that sealed the deal for me on the Z was that you can't run the Core EXP without a clutch lever (I'm running a left hand rear brake).

Thanks for the reply!! The left hand brake lever may just be the key factor for me as well. I'm a little reluctant to drop the clutch lever all together. You've never had need to have the clutch lever? Do you try to gear down to 1st before you stop/start the bike so when you power up its in 1st or do you try and find neutral?

It seems like riding with the brake lever would be fantastic as I could keep the balls of my feet on the pegs and never have to worry about shifting my right foot and my left I'd not have to move as much due to the auto-clutch. Do you find you ride better with the left hand brake?

Thanks for the advice! As money isn't falling off trees these days I want to make sure I make the wisest decision!!

Thanks much!! As you have BOTH, i so appreciate the response as you've experienced both. Does you Z engage well, i.e. you get the torque you need quick and easily with out excessive revs?

Money isn't a big deal as I can get the z pro for about $350 and the EXP for about $400 - both new - but dealer doesn't need so dumping. Note - the EXP is an "A" model which is a rev back from the current "B" version.

z engages very smooth, you can just barely tell it is done slipping, my exp2 I can tell, it's not as smooth

your welcome to try my core exp2 if you ride at outback, I ride there almost every weekend, I rarely ride the 200 with the pro, it's my backup bike

MegaDeTH: I have read in an older article where you compared the Rekluse to the Revloc Dyna Ring. I am looking into picking up a Revloc Dyna Ring soon. How do you compare the Dyna ring to both Rekluse Models (Core EXP 2.0 and Z-Pro)?

Thanks!

I would pass unless it's cheap, I dont think you can get replacement parts, it could be a paperweight if you burn it up

Thanks for the reply!! The left hand brake lever may just be the key factor for me as well. I'm a little reluctant to drop the clutch lever all together. You've never had need to have the clutch lever? Do you try to gear down to 1st before you stop/start the bike so when you power up its in 1st or do you try and find neutral?

It seems like riding with the brake lever would be fantastic as I could keep the balls of my feet on the pegs and never have to worry about shifting my right foot and my left I'd not have to move as much due to the auto-clutch. Do you find you ride better with the left hand brake?

Thanks for the advice! As money isn't falling off trees these days I want to make sure I make the wisest decision!!

The one and only time I wished I had a clutch lever is on my KTM 300 with the Z Pro. The throttle cable got stuck WFO and I had to grab the brakes and force it to a stop, which ended up in a crash. I ended up with minor injuries, but it could have been much worse had I been in a tight woods section, or near a cliff or a drop. Other than that, I have never needed a clutch lever, the Rekluse does such a good job that I have no need for it. The throttle getting stuck is not such a concern on a 4 stroke push/pull throttle. I started with the Rekluse and clutch lever, with a normal foot brake. After I realized that I never even touch the clutch lever I decided to go with the LHRB and have never regretted it. I do click it down to 1st or 2nd when I stop. If you try and ride in in high gears in low speeds you'll end up burning the clutch plates. It's ok to be within one gear of what you should be in, but not much more than that. For example, if you're in a tight section that you would normally ride in 2nd, and your lugging it around in 3rd, that's not a big deal, but in 5th, that is. Plus as you can imagine, it would have a lot less power and torque trying to pull a tall gear you shouldn't be in. Basically you just use common sense and ride it like you would with a normal clutch, except that the Rekluse does the clutch work for you.

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for all the responses! I purchased the z Start Pro. I found both, NIB, on ebay, but after reading all the posts, chatting with folks, etc., I think the zpro is going to be the better fit for me. I only paid $340 for a new one so that's not too bad. There is a version A of the Core Exp that you could get for about $400. The current Core Exp is version B and it's the 2.0 version. It's got bearings in the wedges that provides for quicker engagement.

The general responses all pointed to the same thing: the z Start is better far better for trail riding then the EXP and the Core EXP is far better for MX track riders - espeically those that like quick full engagement (little feather) and tend to still use the clutch. You can tune both how you want them, but that's the general consensus.

Thanks all!! Safe riding!!

I hope to be able to ride in the 2012 Hare Scramble season in NC this year!!

Thanks! After I get the zPro installed and ride for awhile I may consider adopting the left hand brake lever, but think I'll live w/ the new clutch awhile before I make that leap!

i didnt care for the recluse in my ole ktm. i had the clutch cover off so many times and heard so many different things from rekluse i finally gave up. it just diodnt perform as I imagined it would. even after i had it installed to perfection. im sure its a high quality product as compared to others but the have a long way to go before i ever buy into the slipper clutch again. waisted like 600 bucks

it's all in the adjustment, if it's not adjusted right it wont perform right

was that a pro that you had?

it's all in the adjustment, if it's not adjusted right it wont perform right

was that a pro that you had?

I hope so for $600!! I've found all of mine to be very easy to dial in. I always start with what's recommended in the manual and then go from there. On my KTM 250 2T I liked hard and low engagement, but with my KTM 300, and with my YZ450F I like medium engagement.

FYI - installed the z-start this weekend - not a bad install at all. As I'm injured at the moment, my son had to do the break-in, test ride - feedback was a ear to ear smile. He loved it. Anxious to get out and ride some trails with it, but early results it appears a winner! Thanks for all the feedback and guidance!!

My Z works awesome. I've never had a Core EXP, so I can't compare. I was in your situation earlier this year when I picked up my 09 YZ450F and the thing that sealed the deal for me on the Z was that you can't run the Core EXP without a clutch lever (I'm running a left hand rear brake).

This sounds promising to me, how do you use your front break though? I have a bad front hand and I think would solve a lot issues