2011+ 300 XC or XC-W

Getting antsy for a new trail bike, will be used mostly here in Central Oregon for trail riding, some tight technnical single track/some open single track/some open desert two track.....I have the XR650R for the dualsport stuff and I Love the 03 YZ250 but I'm looking for something newer and the 300 seems to have good reviews by anyone who has ever ridden one. Seems to me that both bikes have the six speed in 2011 so the "W" is not that important? I hear the suspension on the XC is a little stiffer/won't bottom as easy as the "W" My question is (for those who own or have owned or have ridden them alot).....

What are the other differences I should consider between these two bikes? I will probably never motocross, but want the ability to do a GP type course.

Would I be just as happy with a nice 2008-2010 model with the 5 speed?

I have done alot of reading and don't think I'll be able to ride either bike much at all before a test ride and purchase.

Edited by Stroupdog

Hi, I ride an 07 KTM 450 SXF, but the local trails/tracks I ride there are several folks riding both the 300 and the 350. I have never ridden either, but I can say that it seems from the discussions that the KTM 350 XCF is the bike that gets the most all around praise. Apparently it provides the best of all worlds.

Here's a link from trade rag review which seems to support the riders opinions:

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/179/8760/Motorcycle-Article/2011-KTM-350-XC-F-First-Ride.aspx

Anyhow, just something you may want to think about before you buy!

Hi, I ride an 07 KTM 450 SXF, but the local trails/tracks I ride there are several folks riding both the 300 and the 350. I have never ridden either, but I can say that it seems from the discussions that the KTM 350 XCF is the bike that gets the most all around praise. Apparently it provides the best of all worlds.

Here's a link from trade rag review which seems to support the riders opinions:

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/179/8760/Motorcycle-Article/2011-KTM-350-XC-F-First-Ride.aspx

Anyhow, just something you may want to think about before you buy!

Thanks, but I forgot to mention.....4 strokes are not on my list.

The Jan 2012 “Dirt Rider” magazine has a nice comparison between the KTM 300’s (including the Husaberg). They do a pretty good job of pointing out the pro’s and con’s. Although there are some major suspension changes from 11 to 12 the data you are looking for is in that comparison. I would go with the XC. The XC suspension is the most versatile and unless you are riding rocks all the time the cartridge forks take the bigger hits better. The w transmission has a lower first gear but it is not necessary and makes a gap between 1 and 2. Top speed is all you need on either bike unless you race Baja.

I have an 09 xc with the 5 speed. I ride open desert, high altitude single track, and nasty technical singletrack. The only time I want more speed is when connecting trails by gravel road. So... the 6 speed would be nice but really not necessary for what I do. The W transmission would give me lower (and taller) gearing but even in the nasty technical ledges and tight single track I never find myself working the clutch hard. The XC suspension is plush (but firm) in the rocks and still eats up desert whoops.

All that being said, either bike will work fine and can be set up for your riding but I would start with the XC unless all you ever ride is narrow rocky trails.

CoKTM

Edited by coktm

The Jan 2012 “Dirt Rider” magazine has a nice comparison between the KTM 300’s (including the Husaberg). They do a pretty good job of pointing out the pro’s and con’s. Although there are some major suspension changes form 11 to 12 the data you are looking for is in that comparison. I would go with the XC. The XC suspension is the most versatile and unless you are riding rocks all the time the cartridge forks take the bigger hits better. The w transmission has a lower first gear but it is not necessary and makes a gap between 1 and 2. Top speed is all you need on either bike unless you race Baja.

I have an 09 xc with the 5 speed. I ride open desert, high altitude single track, and nasty technical singletrack. The only time I want more speed is when connecting trails by gravel road. So... the 6 speed would be nice but really not necessary for what I do. The W transmission would give me lower (and taller) gearing but even in the nasty technical ledges and tight single track I never find myself working the clutch hard. The XC suspension is plush (but firm) in the rocks and still eats up desert whoops.

All that being said, either bike will work fine and can be set up for your riding but I would start with the XC unless all you ever ride is narrow rocky trails.

CoKTM

Good stuff. ?

The Jan 2012 “Dirt Rider” magazine has a nice comparison between the KTM 300’s (including the Husaberg). They do a pretty good job of pointing out the pro’s and con’s. Although there are some major suspension changes from 11 to 12 the data you are looking for is in that comparison. I would go with the XC. The XC suspension is the most versatile and unless you are riding rocks all the time the cartridge forks take the bigger hits better. The w transmission has a lower first gear but it is not necessary and makes a gap between 1 and 2. Top speed is all you need on either bike unless you race Baja.

The best article I've seen in Dirt Rider in a looong time.?

I would want the 6spd XC. I would't want a 300 but a 250 because I like to rev more then short shift. XCW's can be a bit gappy for GP's and you often have trade offs with the gearing once you start trying different sprocket combos on the XCWs.

Get a ride on Jacks 08' 250xc.