Sign in to follow this  

thinking about a 2 strok

Hi all

I currently ride an rmz 250 and i'm thinking of getting something bigger. I had really decided on a cr 250 however my lad has a cr80 which to be honest when it hits the powerband is a bit uncontrollable, in fact I had a go on it yesterday, it kicked me off in a big way.

are the 250's as bad or are they more ridable?

thanks and look forward to everyones thoughts

Most 2s are some what that way. MX bikes are more that way than cross-country bikes. You can tame down the hit with a fly-wheel weight.

MX bikes are that way

enduro bikes are not unless the owner adjusted them to be that way, the power is very smooth on stock enduro two strokes

ive never ridden a really small bore bike like an 80, but from what ive read the real small bore bikes like the 80's and 65's have a nasty hit since they have so little torque off the bottom that when you hit the "powerband" the thing just takes off.

not gonna lie, the 250's have a hit too (talking mx bikes here) but i would imagine its definitely smoother since there is still some grunt due to the larger rotating mass. my only experience comes from 125's and 250's. IMO, if you can ride a 250 4 stroke you can ride a 250 2 stroke you just have to get used to the way the power comes on, and thats where the fun is.

I just went from a KTM 450exc to a 95 cr250. I only have 5hrs on a 250 2t mx bike in my riding experience. I was worried it would be to much. It's not at all. I do have to be more on my game on the 250 but it's easier that throwing around a 270lb 4t and way more fun. The hit is more mellow than 125. Gearing, jetting, porting, flywheel weight's, throttle cams, will all help tame them. To go anywhere fast on 2t it needs to be singing in the upper part of the powerband beyond the hit or "on the pipe." A 250 mx is not the best choice for lugging around.

p.s. My bike has a flywheel weight and I ride trail.

Edited by coopou812

To go anywhere fast on 2t it needs to be singing in the upper part of the powerband beyond the hit or "on the pipe." A 250 mx is not the best choice for lugging around.

p.s. My bike has a flywheel weight and I ride trail.

this is not entirely true, the power is where the pipe puts it, if you have a stock pipe, it's mid/top end, the pipe design controls a lot of where the power is, not all of it, porting comes into play too, that's why the 02+ cr's are harder for me to ride.

try a gnarely pipe, the power will be right off idle so you dont have to be in the upper part of the powerband

250's are alot easyer to ride

they dont just snap into the band you can feel it comeing on and generaly it is smooth and bike is set up good

i find my yz125 has a harder hit then my cr250 but the 250 has a stronger pull back

i have found i have alot more control over the power band on my cr 250 then the yz 125

but mind you i started out ridieng on a yz490

if your really worryed about the hit just buying a new front tyre and get a 2nd hand rear tyre that way it wont grip will just spin alot till you get used to the way the power comes on , but this has a dissadvantage as well just dont go hiting corners fast and hard or you will find your self in a world of trouble

also the lower the cc in 2 strokes the harder the band will just hit out of no where

my yz490 hits band hard being a 86 model but it is controllable and a b!tch at times cause of its age

but the newer 2 stroke si think 95 an up start smoothing the powerband out and broading the power out over a larger sweet spot

2 stroke are not hard to ride you just have to respect them

the transition from a 4 stroke to a 2 stroke is mind blowing but you will get the hang of it

they teach you how to ride cause you cant be lazy on them or you will be in trouble

and btw the 250's are great even with out the flywheel weight you can still lug them around just get your jeting set up so you dont foul up plugs

plus the pistons and rings last longer

if im doing trails only will get around 45 to 50 hours out of the rings

and about 80 to 85 before a new piston

prob could get more but i never push them till they let go or break

The CR 80 is so abrupt because there is no powervalve. A 250 will be a lot easier, because like stated above, you can feel the power coming on due to the powervalve. Also, my CR250 will lug around all day long. It has tons more torque than a 250f and with the jetting squared away, there won't be any issues what so ever. I have been running stock gearing and a PC Works pipe on the trails. I could use one or two teeth more on the rear to tighten it up a bit, but I haven't had any issues and never fouled a plug.

The CR 80 is so abrupt because there is no powervalve. A 250 will be a lot easier, because like stated above, you can feel the power coming on due to the powervalve. Also, my CR250 will lug around all day long. It has tons more torque than a 250f and with the jetting squared away, there won't be any issues what so ever. I have been running stock gearing and a PC Works pipe on the trails. I could use one or two teeth more on the rear to tighten it up a bit, but I haven't had any issues and never fouled a plug.

+1 :lol: you will love the 250

I Agree. You'll need to excersize a little more throttle control on the Cr250, but I think you'd be fine.

Compared to my 450F the CR250 is a blast. Snappy and light, not too scary but very easy to get that front wheel up and over anytime you need it. Like was said before the weight difference will be very noticeable. It brought me back to feeling 17 again. Not looking forward to riding the 450 in Baja, but pre-mix is not an option when you are going out on multi-day trips.

if you lived near me i would offer you a ride on my 98 cr250

trust me you would not want to give it back lol

try find a mate or someone who will let you take one for a test ride

i would be very surprized if you did not want to buy one after that

even the yz250 is a nice bike also i would IMHO try and get a rid eon a few diff 2 stroke 250's and buy the one you enjoy the most

each brand has there own feeling to them you just need to decide on witch you like the most

Compared to my 450F the CR250 is a blast. Snappy and light, not too scary but very easy to get that front wheel up and over anytime you need it. Like was said before the weight difference will be very noticeable. It brought me back to feeling 17 again. Not looking forward to riding the 450 in Baja, but pre-mix is not an option when you are going out on multi-day trips.

the cr's snap is not scary at all it is very controllable

and comes on smooth

im actualy in the process of trying to give it a bigger snap i just love the rush of when bikes do that lol

if you get the traction down you can pop that front wheel up any gear you like

been in a few scary situations where she has come up on me shifting 3rd to 4th that being more my fualt thou, of being back a lil to much and not judgeing the terrain correctly

+1 for this bike i love ridieng it has enough power to keep you happy an in controll even thou ive got the 98 with the gen 1 alloy frame i still find it handle's quite well just had to adjust my tecnique a bit

i would suggest going 2000+ models the frame's are alot better and handle better

but as i said even the pre 2000's are a good bike and my 98 keeps up with the new ones side by side