Sign in to follow this  

Use Parts Market?

Is it me or is there no market for used parts? I have a XR 600 that I originally listed in the paper for sale but after dealing with all the yahoos and lowball drive by offers I decided to part out the bike thinking it would be quicker, more strait forward, and the sum of the parts would bring me more than the whole of the bike. I just don’t see anything selling out there. Anyone else experience this?

Is it me or is there no market for used parts? I have a XR 600 that I originally listed in the paper for sale but after dealing with all the yahoos and lowball drive by offers I decided to part out the bike thinking it would be quicker, more strait forward, and the sum of the parts would bring me more than the whole of the bike. I just don’t see anything selling out there. Anyone else experience this?

I've parted out a bike before - successfully.

It makes a big difference how old the motorcycle is and how many of them are still running. If you have a popular bike it's pretty easy to sell off most of the parts. Still, it took me two years to finally get rid of the last stuff I was selling, even though most of it was gone in the first month or two.

Your best bets are forums dedicated to that particular model of bike, or places that cover a large area, like eBay. And keep in mind that for some parts there is no demand, so you practically have to give those away to get rid of them.

Parts that are in short supply sell,,ie I just paid $100.00 US==>$130.00 NZ for the right hand plastic sidecover for an 83-84 RFVC XR500..,Includes freight from Cali to NZ,,Not cheap but those suckers are rare in good condition..As Scott says parting out bikes takes time and effort,,Sometimes it's better to take the ridiculous offer on the entire thing rather than spend the next year getting rid of all the parts,,If parts were cheaper to freight around the globe it'd be a help.,,ie ,,I could do with a new Stator,,it'd cost me about $40.00 maybe more US in freight on top of the $130.00 US I paid if I purchased one , comes to over 200 NZ and we earn less than Americans,(debatable),,Same with a gas tank,,I need a white one for an 89,,none around NZ but the freight from the US to here would maybe be over a $100 US..Too expensive.

Edited by Horri

Thanks for the replies guys. I was a little frustrated yesterday when I posed so I really appreciate your feedback. If anyone needs something I listed the bike parts in the classifieds on Thumpertalk but since that post I put most of those parts on ebay just to get rid of them. I sold the motor to a guy last night for 500 bucks - I paid 400 for a complete head rebuild not to mention the top end so I think he was pretty happy about the deal, me not so much but at least I don’t have to ship it anywhere.

Thanks again guys.