Sign in to follow this  

Question For Gearbox Guru's

I was taiking to someone at a race meeting the other week they were sponsered by a Suzuki dealership and riding a rm 250 ,the conversation got round to gearbox troubles that these bikes have and he said that machining i think it was 0.3mm off of the washer thats up against the casing on the output shaft as helps to prevent the gears wearing which results in the bike jumping out of gear . He said had been done to both his bikes.

Has anyone else heard of this ?

Is that an endplay shim you are referring to. Increasing the endplay will help with bind issues, but increase gear engagement issues from the shaft having more side to side movement. I figure the measurment for the mod is small, but it still changes endplay. Again, the team of engineers set it up that way,for whatever reason. If it needed to be done, dont you think the next years model wouldve had an updated part?

Again, the team of engineers set it up that way,for whatever reason. If it needed to be done, dont you think the next years model wouldve had an updated part?

Not necessarily. Did they ever do anything about the bikes weak clutch??

I personally don't have blind faith in OEM engineers and could very well believe someone has developed a better solution to something.

I've never heard of this or personally, or had tranny issues, but it would be nice if we could find some more info on it.......

Not necessarily. Did they ever do anything about the bikes weak clutch??

I personally don't have blind faith in OEM engineers and could very well believe someone has developed a better solution to something.

I've never heard of this or personally, or had tranny issues, but it would be nice if we could find some more info on it.......

I see your point, but they did update the clutch in 03. In Suzuki's opinion the clutch works great for moto, and that's what an RM is designed for. I have never got my moto bike clutch hot, ever. But, offroad, I have gotten the clutch pretty hot a couple of times on that bike. The clutch on my 03 is lightyears better than my 01 or 02 with only a plate change. I dont dare run my 01 in the hills, but my 03 I have faith in.

I too have never wiped out the tranny in any of my RM's. Of course I use the oil recommended rather than some witches brew or fancy advertised motorcycle trans oil.