TTR 250 won't run off choke

Well this is my first post so bare with me. I will give you the low down. I just bought a 2003 TTR 250 so I can go riding with my 11 YOS.

Before I givw it a once over the TTR ran ok, but stumbled on full throttle. I checked out the filter and it looked like it needed cleaning.

The TTR needed maintenance so, I did the following:

Changed the oil

New plug

Change the filter to a UNI (oiled properly) The TTR was a mess and the filter looked like it was never cleaned after the last ride(s).

Now it will not idle with the choke off even warmed up and it stumbles if more? Did I do something wrong?

I am pretty clueless. Do I need to rejet (sounds like) now that I have changed the filter?

I know cars well but not motorcycles.

Thanks in advance.

MPQ

The TTR225 I have been tinkering with for ages used to glow cherry red at the first bend in the exhaust pipe. Now that I have all the jets completely clean, most recommend to replace before cleaning, the pipe doesnt glow anymore. I think it was running lean (hot) at idle from a clogged pilot jet.

Well

I did clean the carb and it run way better. However the exhaust tube is turning red. What the hell is that from?

Thanks

MPQ

probably a little lean. You probably still need to clean the jets a little and blow out the passages. You could soak the jets in some carb cleaner but dont use carb cleaner inside the carb. I prefer brake parts cleaner. Carb cleaner could deform rubber and plastic part inside.

If cleaning the carb works to some degree but doesn't totally fix the problem one other thing to check on the carb is the oring on the low speed mixture screw. Mine was rotten on my 03 and it gave me fits until I replaced it. The carb will suck air past this screw if the oring is bad no matter how much you adjust it. A pretty cheap fix at about $10 or so. This will definitely give you an overly lean situation at idle. Before you go rejetting I would make sure that what you have is working properly....

Sam