shifter upgrades?

basically the shifter set up from the factory is crapola....is there an upgraded shifter that eliminates all the factory stuff and gets rid of all the linkage and stuff. i have seen one bike that had all the factory stuff taken off and put a regular shifter on but dont know were.

CamaroKid,

I'll gladly take the factory one off your hands for an experiment I have in mind. I'm not sure if it'll work and our DR-Z's shifter is sort of cobbled on (frame post got whacked). I don't want to take it off to try it. Unfortunately, I don't have a DR shifter in my stash to trade.

PM me.

CamaroKid,

I'll gladly take the factory one off your hands for an experiment I have in mind. I'm not sure if it'll work and our DR-Z's shifter is sort of cobbled on (frame post got whacked). I don't want to take it off to try it. Unfortunately, I don't have a DR shifter in my stash to trade.

PM me.

im gonna order the new part this week so if everything goes well its yours if you pay shipping and all that...

My bike has been posted here many times...What exactly do you want a picture of? And camaro Ill look for one for you..

Tom

actually i was wondering about clearance between the shifter and engine case because the shifter i seen on a different bike had 2 almost 90 degree bends and it seems the dr 200 shifter wasnt bent so extreme....

Besides the DR series, it wouldn't surprise me if one from another bike would work just as well. I've got a ZX550 shifter on our PW at the moment. But those are a crap shoot, it might work, it might not.

You can bend shifters pretty easily, put a crescent wrench on it, then clamp another crescent onto the handle of the first one or run a pipe through the hold of the first one for a T-handle configuration. Bend as needed. Highly advised to do this in a vise and not on the bike of course.

If you want to bend them up/down, you'll need to heat it though.