Sign in to follow this  

antifreeze everywhere!!!

i have an 03 yz250f had a new piston rings and re-coated cylinder re-shimmed the valves into spec and now i have antifreeze leaking into the cylinder and i know the head gasket is probably part of the problem but it also is leaking from the imput into the head from the radiator anyone have a similar problem?

If you had the work done, take it back to them and either make them do it right, or get your money back! Honestly, I wouldn't trust a shop that did this. I hope you didn't discover this after it was running!

If you did it yourself, well then :lol: Lesson learned. We all make mistakes, the trick is to learn from them!

Either way, it sounds like the head gasket is bad. Was a new one installed? It could be that the head is loose or improperly torqued if it is leaking while it is just sitting there. Pull head, replace gasket with a new one and make sure both surfaces are flat and clean. Properly torque all head bolts, go in a pattern where you tighten opposite bolts, it probably describes it in the manual. I also like to tighten in half steps, say you need to go to 20 ft/lb, start at 10 and tighten them all using the correct pattern, then go to 15, then I might do 18 or just skip to 20 depending on how it feels and how lazy I am:smirk:. The point is if you just jump to the max torque on one side of the motor, then go to the other, you might get the correct torque value but the head might be slightly crooked and the first side can even be over-torqued. Using the correct pattern and going in steps helps avoid this.

You should be able to tighten the hose clamp on the radiator or head to get it to stop leaking at the hose.

Then you'll need to flush the coolant and oil (if coolant got into oil, if it's murky looking). Make sure to get the coolant out of the cylinder, too.

I might have forgotten something... It's late, but that should give you a general idea of what needs to be done. Good luck!

The above AND don't start it or ride it until you have it sorted. Water isn't that good at providing lubrication.

Similar happened to my friend after getting his Yamaha back from the shop this weekend. Bad gasket. Shop had the bike waiting for them; bummer was this anti freeze purge wasn't noticed until the race almost started (picked bike up, went to race, dressed, started bike, vomit anti-freeze.

thanks for the help everyone it ended up being the head gasket also just for good measure i put a new o ring around the head imput and flushed the oil like 3 times new oil filter.... ran great this weekend even made it up a couple hills my uncle couldnt on his ktm 530 xcfw :lol: