Sign in to follow this  

potential special mod to slim the motor of TE/TXC

I raced, trail rode, dual sported and loved my BMW G450X.

I looked at the new Husky TE/TXC/TC models based on that great BMW 450cc block. One big issue for me, they tacked the hydro clutch on the outside of the cover and made that nice slim feel of the original BMW block go away, now it is very wide on the clutch case.

Does anyone know if you can take a BMW G450x clutch cover and clutch arm (lifter set up) off a G450x and retro fit it to the Husky? Just ditch the hydro clutch set up, go back to a cable and slim out the motor a lot by your right foot? The BMW clutch was fine with a cable, it never got hot and lost feel.

I also really liked the BMW single rad set up with a good fan, I never boiled it and it was soooo skinny. The BMW really does feel much more agile and lighter due to these two items. It was the slimmest 450 on the market. The wider motor width on the new models is irritating to me. I have not bought one yet.

The new prices are tempting me.....

I raced, trail rode, dual sported and loved my BMW G450X.

I looked at the new Husky TE/TXC/TC models based on that great BMW 450cc block. One big issue for me, they tacked the hydro clutch on the outside of the cover and made that nice slim feel of the original BMW block go away, now it is very wide on the clutch case.

Does anyone know if you can take a BMW G450x clutch cover and clutch arm (lifter set up) off a G450x and retro fit it to the Husky? Just ditch the hydro clutch set up, go back to a cable and slim out the motor a lot by your right foot? The BMW clutch was fine with a cable, it never got hot and lost feel.

I also really liked the BMW single rad set up with a good fan, I never boiled it and it was soooo skinny. The BMW really does feel much more agile and lighter due to these two items. It was the slimmest 450 on the market. The wider motor width on the new models is irritating to me. I have not bought one yet.

The new prices are tempting me.....

I agree and it's why my G450X has the best suspension I could put on it and it's not going anywhere. For open space riding and dual sporting it's still my first choice without a doubt. There are plenty of used 2009 G450X's on the market with more then 2 years warranty left on them priced around $5k, I'd take that choice everytime.

However for the tight, work your butt off single track I'm really digging the '12 310 TXC, that 30 lbs really makes a difference after an hour or so.

Oh and to address your initial question, I do believe retro fitting the cable actuated clutch to the TE449 would be no problem, but you won't get a one piece radiator due the the full cradle frame the HSQ has over the BMW G and even if you make the HSQ TE449 feel thinner in the toe area, it will still be wider at the foot pegs the with the way they designed their version of CTS.