Sign in to follow this  

MX Track Build

So guys, I have a few acres to play around with. I'm going to try and get a track up by this upcoming spring. Getting everything together to start construction no later than Jan or Feb. Thinking out a few track design ideas with the crew. Really shouldn't take all that long. I'm feeling like we can knock it out in a couple full days honestly... But realistically, there's always rain/flooding, and other delays and such.

But there is one problem; It's around a quarter acre of space from a residential neighborhood on the left, and back side. Not sure how they're going to like the noise. Any ideas on how I should go about handling this, and getting the friendly cooperation to go ahead with the build? Even if it's not really their business, or doesn't exactly involve them - I still want to be courteous to those that are closes around, and might be bothered by the on going "BRAAAPS" - and at least let them know what's going to be going on.

Now, I do have that land, and some land on the side of a commercial building. Not exactly sure which one I'm building on, it all depends on the neighbors I guess. Any ideas?

Edited by FixeD

I'm lucky I'm on 50 acres and my track is way at the back and I have lots of forest..We built a track at my Buddys house a township over, He had lots of rolling hills and we made a dandy track..All it took was one citiot complaining about the noise and they changed the law that they can fine you for excessive noise while on your off-road vehicle on your own property..It really sucked..My buddy lived on a stone road too

Depends on what your willing to do.. I've heard of people building walls as a noise barrier... Also, if you can go down far enough, that will help alot, but you have to worry about flooding/drainage issues. Get a really quiet muffler, and your friends.. ???

Quarter of an acre space from a residential? You're gonna have problems. What does that amount to in feet? 50 foot? Do your research before you begin digging up anything.

Depends where and how big you are building. I have built two mini tracks in residential areas. The issues you will have are dust and noise ordinances. If you live in Maricopa, they will try and nail you on dust. I live just inside Pinal and it is a little less strict. It is also an agricultural area, so dust is a fact of life. I checked with planning and zoning and the local sheriffs office before I even bought my house to make sure I was ok to have the track. I am in an unicorporated town and no HOA. Essentially there are no rules or regulations from me doing anything to or on my property, unless it involves a crime (drinking and riding). They can complain about noise, etc, but that also opens the door for when they are mowing their lawn, etc for a complaint to be filed against them. I try to do a good job of watering and don't run races or have a ton of bikes out there at a time. I also planted some ficus (oleander are good too) between me and the neighbors to keep my riding a little more private. Just a tip, if you are brining in dirt, put an add on craigslist (especially in spring) for free fill dirt. I got 30 dump trucks of dirt free.

unless it involves a crime (drinking and riding).

Is drinking and riding a crime if done on private property? Obviously it's not a good idea, nor am I saying to do it, but I am pretty sure you can drink and drive with no seatbelt on private property so I would assume that drinking and riding is no different.

Is drinking and riding a crime if done on private property? Obviously it's not a good idea, nor am I saying to do it, but I am pretty sure you can drink and drive with no seatbelt on private property so I would assume that drinking and riding is no different.

Depends on whether the officer knows the law or not, and how hard they want to push it.

Most states have their DUI laws written to the effect of "Be in contol of a motor vehicle while under the influence". This is written vaguely and broadly on purpose, and the umbrella of such covers even mowing your own lawn with alcohol in your system.

I've known of people to get a DUI on farm equipment, in a farm field.

Depends on whether the officer knows the law or not, and how hard they want to push it.

Most states have their DUI laws written to the effect of "Be in contol of a motor vehicle while under the influence". This is written vaguely and broadly on purpose, and the umbrella of such covers even mowing your own lawn with alcohol in your system.

I've known of people to get a DUI on farm equipment, in a farm field.

You can get a DUI on a horse here, even if it's in your own field, so I would highly suggest that it be avoided. And it would be just another reason for neighbors to try and get your track shut down.

you might check the neighbor hood out see if there are any biking families, if there are start gathering allies esp. kids. you even knock on a few doors and inform the neighbors on what your going to do. work out some ground rules with a little neighbor input make them feel like they have a say in whats going at your track. last attempt hamburgers and hotdogs for the old neighbors. i would rather spend money on a cook out than an attorney. HOLD YOUR FRIENDS CLOSE AND YOUR ENEMIES CLOSER

ya i agree. we built in a new development and i put in an acre track. then my new neighbor built a house and decided the noise was waking up the twins, and could not take it, totally against offroad veichles. i tried to be nice and said id take it down if it was a problem and that i didn't want anything to come between our being good neighbors. Oh, she was a former small town DA too... then i planted some of their grass with my bobcat... tracks still there 4yrs later. i dont ride it that much but my two boys ride it about twice a week on mini's. it's nice to have a track at first but if you live were it rains alot you'll have lots of work trying to keep the good dirt on the track and the rocks from coming up. i find it's easier to go to the local mx and pay the 25 bucks.

Depends how the land is zoned.

I'm almost certain that it's zoned as Rural/Residential if I remember correctly, I'll check again. But as I said, I have another chunk of land which is Commercial. Will I be better off using that? I could always try and get it re-zoned.

Check if you have a local noise ordinance.

I checked into that. Everything was good.

Quarter of an acre space from a residential? You're gonna have problems. What does that amount to in feet? 50 foot? Do your research before you begin digging up anything.

We're looking at about 600ft+ - And from the commercial building on the other land it's about 350ft. Yes I know my land choices weren't all that good. Wasn't intending to use it for this purpose. But I'm going to be looking into more land soon.

Depends where and how big you are building. I have built two mini tracks in residential areas. The issues you will have are dust and noise ordinances. If you live in Maricopa, they will try and nail you on dust. I live just inside Pinal and it is a little less strict. It is also an agricultural area, so dust is a fact of life. I checked with planning and zoning and the local sheriffs office before I even bought my house to make sure I was ok to have the track. I am in an unicorporated town and no HOA. Essentially there are no rules or regulations from me doing anything to or on my property, unless it involves a crime (drinking and riding). They can complain about noise, etc, but that also opens the door for when they are mowing their lawn, etc for a complaint to be filed against them. I try to do a good job of watering and don't run races or have a ton of bikes out there at a time. I also planted some ficus (oleander are good too) between me and the neighbors to keep my riding a little more private. Just a tip, if you are brining in dirt, put an add on craigslist (especially in spring) for free fill dirt. I got 30 dump trucks of dirt free.

This track actually wont be built in AZ. But that's cool that you have pretty much no rules around there. And thanks for the tip, I'll definitely give that a go before I call in some dirt.

Edited by FixeD

Ha, most of the people riding there will have 4T's. But a few has 2T's as well. I'm really not worried about the 4T vs 2T noise thing. I was actually thinking about a big Mini Moto SX type track or either a smaller mx track. A lot of my friends have minis as well.

Ha, most of the people riding there will have 4T's. But a few has 2T's as well. I'm really not worried about the 4T vs 2T noise thing. I was actually thinking about a big Mini Moto SX type track or either a smaller mx track. A lot of my friends have minis as well.

i know, i was just trying to be a smart ass. most ppl ride 4t these days. i'm not trying to start a 2t vs 4t debate here