Sign in to follow this  

can i reuse piston rings

i need to take my head off to repair my spark plug thread..so im going to need new gaskets so i would need to take the cylinder off aswell.

i fitted a new vertex piston rings and gaskets 60miles ago..

so could i reuse the rings

thanks james

yea, since you just did it, otherwise i would say that you should go ahead and rebuild the motor while you have it open. but in this case i would not put new rings is.

Don't worry about the base gasket, it will be fine. Slack off the 6mm cylinder fasteners and retighten just enough to hold the cylinder in place. Remove the 6mm head bolts, then remove the 10mm head bolts.

No need to replace the base gasket.. just pull the head, replace the head gasket.

The cylinder can stay in place.. Base gasket will still do it’s job.

To the question can you re use rings.. errr, the happy answer is no.. The alt answer is depends, sure you can…. If you’re ok with less performance then you could get with new rings, the very small possibility the rings could fracture from use, removal, expansion, reuse (not real likely, but it happens)

My DRZ had 900 easy miles on it. Decided to do the base gasket mod, reassembled with the same rings. Ran fine for 9 years until I sold it, no problems. Cheapskate move I suppose, but it worked out fine.

My DRZ had 900 easy miles on it. Decided to do the base gasket mod, reassembled with the same rings. Ran fine for 9 years until I sold it, no problems. Cheapskate move I suppose, but it worked out fine.

yeah .. i did the same thing years ago when i didnt know any better

the motor turned into a oil burner , i didnt have many miles on those rings at all