Sign in to follow this  

Xr 400 troubles ?

Starting problems are common on 400's with the stock carb. Some have managed to extensively tweak the stock carb to mitigate the problem, others just throw down the cash for a pumper carb (what I did), and still others get an old 400ex case off of ebay and convert to electric start.

That said, doesn't hurt to adjust the valves if its been awhile since its been done.

That said, doesn't hurt to adjust the valves if its been awhile since its been done.

this^^. the xr should start first kick every time when it's warm. hard to start when hot is usually a valve issue. get the correct feeler gauges and check them out. it shouldn't take more than about 20 minutes start to finish to check them.

Being hard to restart when warm is also a sign of jetting that's too rich. Since you just bought the bike, I assume you have no idea what jetting is currently in it. You need to find out.

What is your elevation and what was the elevation from where you bought it?

I'm not trying to sound like a "D-bag" here but is this your 1st 4 stroke? Just wondering cuz of the user name so please don't think I'm trying to be a dick by asking.

Anyway if it is, make sure you kick real slow untill you feel the comp. stroke, pull in manual lever and nudge the kickstarter past that point just barely, let it spring back to the top then give it a hard kick all the way through with no throttle and it should fire just about every time. Rapid fire kicking like you would do on a 2 stroke will not work. Atleast not well or consistently.

Yep. What Mich said. He's describing kicking the engine from TDC, every time. It's a must do on the XR.

but is this your 1st 4 stroke?

Anyway if it is, make sure you kick real slow untill you feel the comp. stroke, pull in manual lever and nudge the kickstarter past that point just barely, let it spring back to the top then give it a hard kick all the way through with no throttle and it should fire just about every time. Rapid fire kicking like you would do on a 2 stroke will not work. Atleast not well or consistently.

Yes, in my old 1996 XR400, if I killed the bike when hot, it was very difficult to start. Problem with with fuel mixture, it was too rich, as TrailRyder 42 pointed out. Once I leaned out my jetting, the issue disappeared.

Gona take apart the carb and have a look at the jetting it had been sitting in the shed for 2 weeks it started first kick then i took it for a 10 minute ride tried starting it again and it took 5 decent kicks to start

:s