Questions about a DRZ400 Rally Fairing

I am currently in the process of researching and developing a larger rally style fairing for the DRZ. My goal is to adventurise the 400SM and I realise that the fixings between the S & E are different for each so part of my research is making something that will fit them all or at the very least create one fairing and brackets that will adapt to each variant.

Right now I am working around the existing headlight. I am also investigating how the design could accommodate better lighting should someone want to upgrade in the future. I will either create a separate "deluxe" full spec fairing or make a version that can accommodate a lighting upgrade. I just have to see how everything fits.

I mocked this up in Adobe Fireworks. I am in the process of making the plug for this.

6366425757_1dc7c2b0ea_b.jpg

Good lighting always comes at a premium and I would not be getting into that side of things. I just want to make a decent fairing that does not cost the Earth and is easy to install without a complicated framework behind.

6367107893_34a1107d1f_z.jpg

I would be interested to know if there is a market for this sort of thing. I would be happy to adapt the design to accommodate other makes of bike provided there are sufficient numbers... lets say over 10.

I'm not a vendor yet. This is just a straw poll to see if it is worth my while. Either reply here, PM me or email motoeverywhere@gmail.com

Cheers

Jon

• 2 weeks later...

Well the first mould has been created. I decided to first create a mould without incorporating the DRZ headlight surround. For two reasons. Firstly I wanted to see how the production process would go. See how much of the materials I would get through, measure the time taken for everything to cure, see what imperfections turned up etc. Secondly I've had interest from people with Honda's and KTM's so if I create fairings for those bikes the one constant will be the design of the upper portion with the lower half being in the form of the original headlight surround.

6431209303_daa5894d0f_z.jpg

So from this female mould below I will create a male fairing and then glue that to the DRZ stock fairing. I will fill in the gaps with high density insulation foam and fill in any gaps with car body filler. This will then become the plug from which I make the final DRZ mould. From that point I can start to produce the fairings. It would be nice to reach this stage before Christmas.?

6431207491_46c884a499_z.jpg

I think its a great idea for blocking roost. Wouldn't need one myself cause im always at the front of the pack (J/K)?

Looks good so far. Dont forget to update with pics. The finished product will help sell it. Hard to tell at this stage If it will be worth the $$.?

i've seen guys take walmart trash cans and make them into fairings that bolt over the drz's minimalistic fairing. works very well.

you may want to consider using a hook-and-loop system for holding it on so it's easily removable come summer time, and woods riding.

nice project , carry on :-)

i've seen guys take walmart trash cans and make them into fairings that bolt over the drz's minimalistic fairing. works very well.

you may want to consider using a hook-and-loop system for holding it on so it's easily removable come summer time, and woods riding.

nice project , carry on :-)

The hook and loop system would definitely be the most cost effective and easiest to implement but I fear it would not be robust enough to hold the fairing in place considering it will be close to being 2ft long.

I agree about the removal for summer. My motivation for creating this was to cater more for people doing long distance travel to Russia, Africa or South America. At the end of the day though the most interest has come from the US so I should adapt it as best I can to suit the needs of the market that is interested.?

I will certainly look into the hook and loop system and use it only if it is rock solid.

Yay...... Fellow compositor.......?... Looks like you already have the know how..... Have a look here......

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=615213

I know it's not for the Z..... But as I'm sure you know.... peeking in at others projects....can be helpful.....ummmm... at least some times. There are several other post over there regarding evil projects...... Awesome...??

Erling

I thought about doing one myself at one point. Here is a link for a rally fairing, he had it rest on top of the gas tank. The gas tank is a IMS 4.0l

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=675087

Heres also a link to Britannia, they have a sweet headlight setup for DRZs and other models!

http://www.britanniacomposites.com/

Here is a picture....

fairing20and20IMS20fuel20tank-xs.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Those fairings are indeed the cream of the crop with the light setup and everything. At $1000 before shipping you need to have deep pockets though. Something that not many of us do in these cash strapped times.

I haven't been able to devote as much time as I would have liked to the project but things are moving on. I am refining the plug, so lots of car body filler, cutting and filling and sanding and repeating that process. The fairing on the right is made by a friend of mine so I used it as a point of reference for the overall height. He has a lip on his and I may incorporate that into mine if it works with the design.

6513944287_619d8a1704_b.jpg

The devil is in the detail and getting it right at this stage will save a lot of work in the future.

Very interesting and I like the direction you are taking this so far. I think a huge benefit would be a lower cost but yet a customizable platform. I think there are a lot of folks that can make their bike what they want, but at the same time struggle with the ability to mold and shape and form composites......keep on going, there will be a market! :bonk:

Hey dude, looking good. See how you get on with it. My large screen made covering the miles a lot easier because it was angled back for smooth airflow, but as a result it was quite close when standing on the pegs. Upright screens/fairings look great but I find them too turbulent at speed.

Anyhow, in gnarly dirt sections (BAM/Road of Bones etc) the dirty screen (never stayed clean for long) made it tricky to see exactly where I was putting the front wheel when seated - would be the same for a solid fairing. Obviously if you're standing up a lot it makes no difference, but on a light (for and adventure-) bike like the DRZ, you don't otherwise need to stand up much to make progress.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...