Sign in to follow this  

DRZ-400 to KTM exc 250 or 300?

I am 50 yr old 210lb intermediate paced trail rider looking to get a EXC250 or 300. I have ridden dirt bikes for 30 years and can go anywhere. I did a couple of Hare Scrambles and finished mid pack C group over 50 and nearly every other bike is a KTM.

I ride in Norcal at Stonyford, Hollister, the Sierras, etc.

The power of the DRZ is super linear and on the 2nd to 3rd gear trails I usually ride, I go pretty quick. I want to do some hare scrambles and the DRZ just punishes you with the weight when you try to go fast over deep whoops or square edged holes and whoops.

So I would love to get a 2010 Husaberg 450 which supposedly feels like a 2 stroke but I cannot afford it.

I rode a 2000 exc300 a couple of times recently and figured I would get a used one like a 2004 to take advantage of the upgrades in 2004. I love the luggability of the 300 but wonder if there is so much power when it comes on the pipe, that it will be more work to ride.

I like to ride seated about 50-60% of the time.

I found a used 2005 EXC250 that is pretty much stock with 160 hours for $2,600. So now I am thinking that maybe the 250 will have nearly the same amount of torque and less of a hit when on the pipe resulting in less work than the 300.

I have read reports of some 200 lb guys going to the exc200 even.

SO, what am I giving up with the 250 Vs 300?

Will I have have to work the 250 more and be "on it" like you are with a 2 stroke MX bike?

Go for the 300. It is a lot easier to just buy an off road bike since you have a wide ratio tranny, big fuel tank, softer suspension, etc. 300s are light and have a ton of torque. Awesome bikes.

Thanks guys.

I was planning on the 300 but there happen to be a couple of 250's for sale that appear to be good deals. Your description of the 250 is exactly what I thought it might be like and that is not what I want. I will wait for a 300.

I actually went from drz to a 300 and ended up back to a drz .The motor and tranny is great, but be sure your comfortable with the geometry of the bike and its suspension. The suspension sucked up everything in a straight line, but my 03 300mxc couldn't turn worth a damn.

Thanks for the info. That is one reason I am not considering an MX bike or even the 300 XC.

Besides, I already plan to use a tall seat, tall bars, and will ensure the spring rate is set up. I might also get the valving tuned. I Kind of want a light weight DRZ that handles square edged bumps and whoops that has a turbo boost ONLY when I want it.

I think the biggest problem was the fork rake, made it a log jumping machine and a washout junky in the turns...I've heard great things about the 04+ 300s...I've never had that problem with any ktm200 I rode.