Sign in to follow this  

Where do I start?? New/Old '06 WR250F

After being out of the sport for 32 years, I just jumped back in with both feet, buying a totally stock, (at least thats what I was told), 2006 WR250f. It appears to be in fairly good shape and I did get a good deal on it.

I am looking for help as to where should I start? I want to go through it and get familiar with it mechanically and make sure it is sound and do any maintenance needed. The guy I bought it from had zero info as he was selling it for a friend from AZ. What should be the priority items? I do have the owners service manual so I am going to start by reading that.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Check the valve clearance, just to make sure. This is pretty quick. Remove the snorkel from the airbox, cut the gray wire (if it's not cut already). Get an exhaust end cap from Pro Moto Billet, if you still have the stock pea shooter in there. Then ride! I have an 06 after having an '02 that I did a bunch of stuff to (hot cams, exhaust, carb), and I'm totally happy with my '06 relatively stock (grey wire cut, no hot cams). Flat land radiator guards are a good investment, and you might want a bigger tank if you're going longer distances. You're probably only guaranteed about 60 miles on the stocker, but it will go 80 on a good day. Do a search for "free mods" or go to Thumperfaq.com (although this applies to earlier models, there is a lot of background.

Check the spokes, grease the linkage and break out your torque wrench to go over the bolts, everything from triple clamp bolts to those that you just reinstalled after regreasing.

Then set your sag and spring the bike for your weight.

Change the oil and filter, clean the air filter and check the carb boot for signs of dust or silt getting thru the filter. Clean and lube the linkages and bearings. Grease all threads. Lube all cables. Adjust the chain, and check brake pads. Get ready, you are about to really enjoy riding again.!!!!! Take it easy, this bike is not your typical 4T. Give yourself time in the saddle to get used to it.

Thanks guys, this is great info.

Before diving in completely, I rode a friends CRF230 a few times to see if I could get my sea legs again. Not a bad bike but not real exciting. After one quick ride on the WR, all I can say is Wow! I love it already. I will definitely go easy on the mods.

Thanks again.

Go easy on the mods?!?! Crazy talk man, just crazy talk!! Go all out with the mods and have fun!! It's the riding and the backflips over the triple jumps you need to go easy on.

I agree, however the other crazy talk is I still have to be able to go to work every Monday morning. After a 32 year hiatus from riding, you have no idea how much convincing my wife it took to get this far. I told her it was just a beginners bike like the 230. You know a WR250 only sounds a little bigger than a CRF230' only 20CC's! She says, whats a CC? I said a shot like the Doctor gives you is about 10 CC's so this is only two shots bigger. :-))

Good choice on the WR250F! One of the best trail bikes made!:lol:

I have both a CRF230F and a WR250F. No comparison. The 230F is not in the same class of power, suspension, and handling as the 250F. Have loads of fun. Get the bike derestricted and set the sag on the forks and shock. Change the oil and clean the air filter regularly.:banghead:

The top end seems to be a little more durable than the CRF250X, but less durable than the CRF230F top end.:)

Another question guys. I think the handle bars are not original and have been replaced. How can i tell what i have?

Thanks