Just picked up an '02 WR426F

I found it on Craigslist. The guy just lost his job, so he was selling stuff. I paid $1000. It starts right up, and seems to run really good. It has some issues, like the decompression cable is snapped, the plastics have seen better days, the rims have some wows in them, and the header has a dent. But, all in all, it seemed like a decent deal. It's got a steering damper, aftermarket exhaust, triples, and some other stuff. I'll take a pic and post it. I've been riding an '05 XR650L, but I wanted something a bit lighter for desert racing. I'm thinking this may just be the ticket.

Edit: I do have a question:

Is the decompression lever on the left side by the clutch? What is the small lever on the right side of the bars?

Edited by MountainBear

Edit: I do have a question:

Is the decompression lever on the left side by the clutch? What is the small lever on the right side of the bars?

Sounds like he may have installed an aftermarket hot start lever. What does your carb look like? Do you still have the red knob (plunger style hot start) on your carb, or is there a cable running to it above the choke? (black knob)

How did you start it without the de-comp lever? The reason I as is it is nearly impossible to kickstart them without it.... If it kickstarts fine it could be unhooked because they upgraded the cam-shaft(s) to eliminate the need for it... Which would be really nice.

How did you start it without the de-comp lever? The reason I as is it is nearly impossible to kickstart them without it.... If it kickstarts fine it could be unhooked because they upgraded the cam-shaft(s) to eliminate the need for it... Which would be really nice.

Good Catch! ^^^ May have installed an 03' or newer Exhaust cam for auto-decompression.

Here's a great thread on any questions you may have on auto-decompression for the 426.

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=253090&page=2

Thanks for the replies, guys. The reason we were able to start it is because the guy I bought it from was mistaken about the decompression cable being broken. The hot start cable is broken. The decompression works just fine. He's obviously not really savvy about the stuff. I'm just learning about this bike. I'm going to clean it up, order new plastics, put some new grips on it (it looks like he sold the bark busters off of it), straighten out the rims, get the handlebars back to center, change the oil, check the valves, lube everything, and then ride it.

I took her out for a tear this afternoon since I got off of work early, and she runs well. My only concern is there is an unusual rattling noise at idle down on the lower side of the case. There are no oil leaks, and the bike pulls real hard through all gears, with roll-on wheelies through the first few. Also, notice the bent front wheel. Somebody was playing find the boulder.

i too sold my 07 xr650l for a 99 wr400- i like it a lot better in the dirt -its not as torquey in the motor dept but mine is stock so i will do up the motor..you got yours a grand cheaper than i did -cause i live in an expensive place called canada ....?

you should look into putting a hot cam in with the auto decomp. Then that bike will start as easy as the newer ones do. We put one in my friends yz 426. he hated starting that thing till we put that auto decomp in. Now he loves it. Took about 30-45 mins to install. have fun with it

• 1 month later...
Here she is:

wr003.jpg

Oh yeah, I remember the gawdawful tank on my '99 WR400.

It might be a worthwhile investment to get the IMS YZ fuel tank and a YZ seat. The WR's from '98-'02 had that horrible watermellon gas tank.

You wont lose any fuel capacity with the IMS YZ tank but you also wont walk like you spent three days on a swabacked horse after a long ride.