Sign in to follow this  

Trials tires for woods riding

I see alot of guys running trials tires at dual sports in Ohio and Kentucky, and seems like a good idea especially in the rocky hills of KY. Anyone have an opinion on the best trials tire for woods riding? Thanks!

I used one in georgia, mt43 at 5-10psi with nuetech tubless

loved it, not sure if I wanna try one here in NC, it's so sandy

sand they work great, nud they work good especially if their are roots and rocks to get traction from

sand they work great, nud they work good especially if their are roots and rocks to get traction from

bottomless sand here

I have one on my 200, it works good on that bike, but my 250 responds better with a little wheelspin in the sand, I'm not sure if I can adjust that bike to a trials tire

braking with the trials tire sucks, make sure your aware of that if you try one, they pack up and skid

they are fine in mud, in fact, in clay like we have in georgia, I like a trials tire more than a knobby, just air way way down

but braking can be scary

been using one for many years.....the difference in mud ( and snow for that matter) between a trials and a knobby is maybe 10% less effective....HOWEVER, on everything else they are 50% better and last 3 times as long so no contest. do a search on here and you will find thousands of posts on the subject.

Joe

You did't say what kind of bike you have, but there's a new 19" tire (4.25. wide) from Vee rubber that seems to be showing up on more bikes at HS races. Ride reports are positive.

I personally run an 803 here in north GA. The more rocks and roots, the better it works. Like all trials tires, it tends to let go suddenly and skid if you get on the rear brake too hard, but in just about every other respect it's superior to a knobby, and lasts at least 3 times as long without any noticeable drop off in performance. I don't think I'll ever run a knobby again.

I guess it depends just how much mud youre riding in. If its 10% less effective and its only 10% mud then its worth the trade off. However in the spring and autumn around here (and probably OHIO which the OP was talking about) its really muddy.

Summer time though It actually gets dusty, and then the trials tire would be a better option.

Winter and spring stay muddy here, and I ride nothing but trials tires. They do excellent in the mud, as well or better than any knobby I have tried.

interesting... I am not saying you are wrong because you have more experience with them than i do. I just dont see how they can evacuate mud or act like anything but a slick in the mud..

It probably depends on the type of mud as well. I find that my 803 does pretty well in "general" mud, but it becomes totally useless in the saturated red clay mess that we sometimes get around here in north Ga. I remember one riding trip where I simply could not get my bike to move in clay sections, but it was doing great in the regular "dirt" mud.

I think youre correct, and I got a feeling the bike and riding style play a part as well. I started doing some google searching after some of these guys are insisting that the tires work good in the mud.

It seems like a love/hate thing. There are guys out there that are recommending them, and then other guys that are saying they cant even get the bike to move just like youre saying.

I cant imagine the braking being any good. Obviously when youre on the throttle you can clean out the knobbies, but any coasting and down hills would be inhibited. I then found some people saying its like being on ice when braking in the mud.

My interest has peaked though i am considering trying one out because all I am going on at the moment is hear-say.

been using one for many years.....the difference in mud ( and snow for that matter) between a trials and a knobby is maybe 10% less effective....HOWEVER, on everything else they are 50% better and last 3 times as long so no contest. do a search on here and you will find thousands of posts on the subject.

Joe

DIDDO!!!:lol:

interesting... I am not saying you are wrong because you have more experience with them than i do. I just dont see how they can evacuate mud or act like anything but a slick in the mud..

Grab a trials tire at 5 or 6 PSI and squeeze it. All the lugs come completely together. So as the tire rolls, the lugs all get squished up tight to each other, which clears out any mud between the lugs.

With a handbrake I don't notice any worse braking traction compared to a knobby. However, my setup provides really good feel so I can threshold brake. If you're stomping on a foot brake, skidding and letting the knobs grab I imagine it's much worse. Similar with acceleration. If you like modulating the throttle and staying hooked up you'll love it. If you like roosting the trials tire won't bite much.

All the trails I ride are multi-use so tearing them up by roosting and skidding is frowned upon anyway.