Sign in to follow this  

450 vs. 250 2-stroke

Not trying to start a war here, however i know how questions like this can turn out.

Well here it goes, i have an 04 cr250 great bike perfect running order always well maintained and babied. I have always been a 2-stroke rider however i recently found an 06 YZ450 on a super deal and bought it. I ride alot of trails which can be difficult on my CR and the YZ is awesome with all that fluid power and low end power. I do not race, nor am i ever revving the bikes high so im not roough on em. My question is What would yall recommend to keep, the CR or the YZ450f? i do not know much about 4-strokes other than i watched 4 of my friends 250 4T's lock up in one summer which strayed me away from the 4T's. A friend of mine says the 450's dont have nearly the same problems b/c of the lower rpm's and not ripping the bike to get the power outta it. Does this sound correct? Which one would be better in the long run so far as reliability. it is nice pulling right up to the pump and filling the bike up along with my truck w/o having a separate tank for premix.

Next question is in the 4T guys, which bikes seem to be the most reliable so far as KX, RM, YZ, 4T's? Not looking for a war, just everyone 2-cents and experience?

Even the 250 thumpers can be reliable as long as looked after! Ive seen a many 2st seize a top end do to a lack of maintenance as well. Of course not as costly to rebuild etc etc.. But you will never have to be revving out a 450 as much as a 250. Therefore better reliability! If its a used bike?? I would throw a piston and cam chain into it and start fresh. Do your regular oil and air filter changes and it will be great for years etc. Just my 2c's

I think you answered your own question. You stated you only ride trails and and the 450 worked better for you. Go with what YOU like. If financial possible keep the cr. I know I would likw to have one of each model 2 and 4.:lol:

• Like 1

Not trying to start a war here, however i know how questions like this can turn out.

Well here it goes, i have an 04 cr250 great bike perfect running order always well maintained and babied. I have always been a 2-stroke rider however i recently found an 06 YZ450 on a super deal and bought it. I ride alot of trails which can be difficult on my CR and the YZ is awesome with all that fluid power and low end power. I do not race, nor am i ever revving the bikes high so im not roough on em. My question is What would yall recommend to keep, the CR or the YZ450f?

Keep the 450, it would be good for a change. Either bike is a good bike but its what you like is going to be the deciding factor.

i do not know much about 4-strokes other than i watched 4 of my friends 250 4T's lock up in one summer which strayed me away from the 4T's. A friend of mine says the 450's dont have nearly the same problems b/c of the lower rpm's and not ripping the bike to get the power outta it. Does this sound correct?

Your friend is correct somewhat. Regular maintenance will also go along way.

Which one would be better in the long run so far as reliability. it is nice pulling right up to the pump and filling the bike up along with my truck w/o having a separate tank for premix.

Next question is in the 4T guys, which bikes seem to be the most reliable so far as KX, RM, YZ, 4T's? Not looking for a war, just everyone 2-cents and experience?

The YZF is one of the most reliable bikes made and has a history to prove it. Again, regular maintenance is going to be the deciding factor. When the 450 does go, it will cost a lot more to fix though vs your CR

hell keep em both. at the least youll have a spair u can give a friend to ride if they dont have one.

if i had my choice id keep em both...but one has to be sold to replace the money i used to purchase the 450, so its one or the other unfortunately. i was just looking for some input on what others thought. i guess right now it comes down to which one sells first if EITHER since winters coming up

I think you answered your own question. You stated you only ride trails and and the 450 worked better for you. Go with what YOU like. If financial possible keep the cr. I know I would likw to have one of each model 2 and 4.:)
This is the correct answer. Keep the one that you like the best. :lol:

hell keep em both. at the least youll have a spair u can give a friend to ride if they dont have one.

True that! I'm always for a good youtube video showing a friend looping out someone elses dirtbike:smirk:

Let me ask yall this, I have an option on trades for my cr250. One option an 06 RMZ450, the next an 07 CRF450, an recommendations, anything to look for/stay away from? Common problems with either?

The thing I like most about hondas is that they use two separate oils. motor oil and tranny oil, much like a car. hondas seem to run forever, and the parts seem to be easier to get than suzuki parts. as much as I love suzuki, more and more honda seems to be taking the win on most aspects.

I have several bikes and ride both 2 and 4 strokes. After I ride one for an extended period and jump on the other, I notice all the positives of the bike I haven't been riding. I love riding and am happy on whatever bike I happen to be on at the time. I ride for fun, so I choose to put the most time on my 250 2 stroke because of cost.

I have a really clean 07 yz450f I keep, I don't think it would bring more than $2500 the way craigslist bikes have been. I don't see any sense in selling it. I would keep the 250, ride your 4 stroke a while and hop on the 250 in the spring, it will make you smile.

I agree with Pitbull. If you can keep/ride them both. I have an 2002 ktm 400 with a plate on it and a 2005 GasGas 300 ec. Both dialed in for me.The Gas Gas has a rekluse and takes me through the nasty stuff and an occasional race. The ktm has over 12000 miles with only 3 head rebuilds and a 453 barrel/ piston replacement at about 4000 miles. Regular maintenance is key. Love to ride them both. Funny how each bike is the best in the world until I ride the other. Then IT is.

Well here it goes, i have an 04 cr250 great bike perfect running order always well maintained and babied. I have always been a 2-stroke rider however i recently found an 06 YZ450 on a super deal and bought it. I ride alot of trails which can be difficult on my CR and the YZ is awesome with all that fluid power and low end power. I do not race, nor am i ever revving the bikes high so im not roough on em. My question is What would yall recommend to keep, the CR or the YZ450f? i do not know much about 4-strokes other than i watched 4 of my friends 250 4T's lock up in one summer which strayed me away from the 4T's. A friend of mine says the 450's dont have nearly the same problems b/c of the lower rpm's and not ripping the bike to get the power outta it. Does this sound correct? Which one would be better in the long run so far as reliability. it is nice pulling right up to the pump and filling the bike up along with my truck w/o having a separate tank for premix.

Keep both bikes !!!You could not compare a 250 2 stroke to a 450 4 stroke they are both fun to ride.Each bike has their ups & downs.

For the most reliable 4 stroke I would say the yamaha.:lol:

450 for sure! I also had a 06 yz450 and It was amazing! That was the most powerful carburetor'd 450 Yamaha made. Alot of people buy the cdi box from a 06 for there 07 08 etc.. Has more advanced timing I believe. Next time I can get my hands on one I'm keeping it for life. I've always been a Honda fan but yami sure makes some good bikes!