Sign in to follow this  

No Spark - 1984 Z50R

I have a 1984 Z50R that I'm trying to get running. I'm not currently getting a spark. It's a new spark plug. I tested the coil for continuty. I adjusted the points, but that didn't fix it. What else could it be?

Here's what I recommend for anyone having problems getting proper spark with point ignition bikes. [i'm beginning to think this should really be a sticky as I feel like I'm typing this up almost every day for people that are having trouble getting spark]:

1)Remove the left hand side engine side cover and look through the cut-outs on the flywheel and you'll see the points, you may need to turn the flywheel a bit. Now use a small point file [if you don't have one you can use a small, thin strip of sandpaper folded over so the "sand" part is on the top AND on the bottom] and gently isert it between the point contacts and file them just enough so that both contacts look shiny. [if you're using sandpaper, you'll need to open the points with a small screwdriver, push the sandpaper in between the contacts, and then drag the paper back out with the pressure of the points spring squeezing the sandpaper]This will be easier with the flywheel off, but you can still do it with it on and may take a lot of sanding before they are look nice and shiny.

2)Now you want to clean the contacts. Take a piece of white printer paper and cut 2 or 3, 1/4 inch strips. Now once agin open up the points and slide the thin strip of paper between the contacts, let the pressure of the point spring squeeze the paper, then drag the paper back out. Repeat this 7 or 8 times, tearing off the end of the paper that you just dragged through the dirty contacts, so you have a nice clean strip of paper each time.

3) Set point gap. Gap should be .012~.016

4) Check for spark [make sure you have a new spark plug or now that the one you are useing works] If no spark, use the paper again 2 or three times just to make sure they are free of debris.

Thank you! That fixed it, I'm now getting a spark. I must not have cleaned the contacts enough or set the gap properly the first time.

It's a good idea to go on and order new points, once you've filed them they tend to corrode quickly and will require regular maintenance. Be sure to include a new condenser as this could have been a contributing factor in the contact fouling the first time. When replacing, take a minute to thouroughly clean all grounds and add some dialectric grease to them before reassembly.

Is replacing the points and condenser a challenging task? How would you recommend I clean the grounds?

It's not tough at all since you've already shown you know how to set them. The only slightly difficult part is removing the flywheel. You can purchase the tool for this or make it, I made mine; it's just a fine thread bolt and nut (can't remeber what size, use a spark plug to figure it out then take the plug to the store to match it).

To clean the grounds, use an emory paper and then coat with the dialectric grease (the vasoline looking stuff for battery terminals).

Be sure and check all wires when doing this to make sure that the insulation is not cracked or brittle.

Edited by surveywaters
addition

The flywheel puller is a special tool with left-handed threads to thread into the flywheel. It is also just a bit bigger than a spark plug, the thread pitch on it is 27 x 1.0. Here's a pic of it, most bike shops have it or can order it for you, about $18.00 or so...

flywheelpuller.jpg