Sign in to follow this  

Too much slack in new clutch cable, can't adjust out

I've tried two new clutch cables, a Motion Pro and a Tusk, and both have too much slack even with both the adjusters (the cable adjuster and the clutch perch adjuster) maxed out. It's not from worn clutch plates, it's the same with both my old pack (barely within service spec) and a brand new set of frictions and disks. And I tried two different clutch perches.

It's a 1993 CR250. The parts fiche doesn't show a ball bearing between the clutch rod and the clutch lifter. Is there another part that could be left out?

hello there

iv also noticed this on all my honda cr clutch cables, i like the sunline cables and for a £10 a go in the uk there well worth the money

to take up the slack I use a locator dowel removed from another engine

or if you don't have a spare

whip the clutch outer case off and there's 2 locator dowels in 1 side of the case pull one out and sit it in the hole the clutch cable fits through

there small enough to fit in the hole and centre hole is big enough for th nipple to fit through

this lifts up the cable end and works a treat, cheap easy fix

:lol:

That's a good idea for a spacer.

I just checked the Honda OEM cable, and it's nearly the same length as both the Motion Pro and the Tusk. It's just strange that all would be too long, which makes me think some internal part has been left out or something is out of spec.

or you can also put a ball bearing in the clutch preasure plate lifter that takes about 5-6 mm up as it makes the cable mount in the clutch arm sit lower iv just done this on my 03 cr 125

I'm having the same problem with my 98 cr250 even with a new oem cable. I'm certain no parts are missing. It doesn't seem right that we would need to add spacers. I'm scratching my head as well.

Try measuring the clutch lifter rod and see if it's in spec. I read on here they can mushroom at the ends. When I got my 95 the clutch adjusters were maxed out. I bought a new tusk cable and pack, inner and outer basket, and OEM clutch lifter rod. The new cable had to be adjusted more than I was expecting, but it's not maxed out anymore.

Also, check and see if the clutch basket fingers are notched. The pressure plate doesn't push out very far under normal operation and if the clutch basket fingers are notched the plates won't come apart.

Edited by coopou812