First Ride 09 CRF450R from YZ450F Owner

So my buddy recently picked up an 09 CRF450R. We took it to the track this week and I put a few motos on it.

My impressions: The power of the bike seemed very flat and overall a little slow. I found myself constantly wanting more power out of it and needing to click it up a gear to gain some more speed. I loved how light and nimble it felt and the air.That was really nice. Bike also felt a little small. I was constantly hitting the shifter down when I wasn't intending too.

Im a B-class rider. Not fast by any means( I only get to ride once a month, twice if I'm lucky). My current bike is a 2009 YZ450F that is mint..

I'm considering buying the CRF from my buddy and probably selling the YZ.. Just to try something different for a while.

My current bike is jetted perfect and has a slip on. I have owned several YZ 450's over the years and they have been absolutely bullet proof. I wish I could say the same about the few CRF 450's I have owned..

So a few questions:

1. Will a pipe on the CRF get me a little more power??? Making it feel similar in power to my current 09 YZ450F?

2. What can I do to make the bike feel more friendly to my size?( I'm about 6'2 and 220 lbs currently)..CRF Already has full RG3 suspension work and works connection link.. Suspension isn't the problem.

3. I gotta have a bike I can trust... Is the 09 CRF going to be a problem???

Thanks much to all

Why would you take a step backward from the YZ. I have the 09 YZ as well and find that I wish it had a little more hit off the bottom to mid range, so if the CRF doesn't even have as much as the YZ why buy it.? YZ's of that year and earlier have a great reliability rating, Hondas have also been very good to my knowledge in the past but the 2009 CRF didn't get the best reviews from the pro level. The bike was hard to dial in with handling and as you say the motor was not that fast, If the pros cant make it fast then there is no amount of money that you are going to put into it that will ever make you happy with it. just my two cents, keep the YZ or buy a 2010-2012 KAWI.

Why would you take a step backward from the YZ. I have the 09 YZ as well and find that I wish it had a little more hit off the bottom to mid range, so if the CRF doesn't even have as much as the YZ why buy it.? YZ's of that year and earlier have a great reliability rating, Hondas have also been very good to my knowledge in the past but the 2009 CRF didn't get the best reviews from the pro level. The bike was hard to dial in with handling and as you say the motor was not that fast, If the pros cant make it fast then there is no amount of money that you are going to put into it that will ever make you happy with it. just my two cents, keep the YZ or buy a 2010-2012 KAWI.

Yea, I sort of feel that way too. It would be logical to keep the yz. I have just always heard honda's were great bikes. Like I said, with my skill level, the way the honda feels in the air is great. It was first ride on it and I felt way more comfortable launching it on jumps I sometimes get in trouble with on my yz. The cry felt really planted when turning as well. It felt easier to ride. I just want some more room and a little more power...

Ultimately the goal is a near new KX450F, as u suggested.?

I have ridden some older hondas the last being an 06 crf450 and that had all the power you could ask for and then some. It felt a bit shorter then the 09YZ but i think with new clamps you could move the bars forward and have more room. I think all the hondas turn really well. Once i got my yz dialed in though I don't have any turning problems with it. I race at the vet pro level. granted vet class is not the same as 450 pro or A class, but it aint slow. I do think your spot on with the KX. they seem to have everything going right the last couple years.

Think of it this way. The reason I switched to honda is bc like you said I'm more comfortable on it. More confident. Confidence is fast. Smooth is fast. There is no such thing as an under powered 450. If you are more comfortable and more confident on a bike you will be faster. My bike is an 08. And has more than enough power. The Fi really seems to smooth out the 09+ power. It doesn't mean its lacking power, it just doesn't feel like it hits as hard. smooth is fast. The Honda puts the power to the ground, and its controllable power. I'd love to get an 09+.

I'm trying to decide between the yz450f '09 and crf450r '11 at the moment...

Can I ask which is snappier and hits harder off idle ? (as i'm riding it offroad)

Oh, and which one is more plush ? the yz i'm guessing?

I used to have an 07 YZ450F and thought it was a great motor offroad, whereas my 06 CRF450R was a bit too snappy and lurchy in comparison...

Also I'm guessing the CRF steers alot sharper into turns ?

Edited by andrewdisco

Pesonally I think the '09 YZ is a great bike off road and could use a little more on the MX track off the bottom, have not ridden the '11 CRF but I have heard it hits pretty good off the bottom plus has FI so the response will be more instant. Also heard the '12 CRF is more like the 09 YZ little less hit but still has the FI instant response. Maybe some one with the CRF can weigh in on it.

?

Think of it this way. The reason I switched to honda is bc like you said I'm more comfortable on it. More confident. Confidence is fast. Smooth is fast. There is no such thing as an under powered 450. If you are more comfortable and more confident on a bike you will be faster. My bike is an 08. And has more than enough power. The Fi really seems to smooth out the 09+ power. It doesn't mean its lacking power, it just doesn't feel like it hits as hard. smooth is fast. The Honda puts the power to the ground, and its controllable power. I'd love to get an 09+.

very true

If I would make a reccomendation, I would suggest you shy away from the '09. I had an '09 and while I am not a fan at all of the new Honda platform, the '11 or '12 is a much better bike, especially the '12. I am 6'3" and 210 so when I got my '09 (after coming from '07 CRF450) I couldn't believe how small it was. It literally did not fit me at all. I did love the feel in the air and the entry into turns but that was all. The bike is twitchy and terrible in light to medium Chop. Forget heavy braking bumps as they will beat you to death. Even if the weird handling does not bother you, mine cracked the frame and I have since seen 3 more do it in the exact same spot. You can still ride it as it is not a main spar or anything like that but I spent $8 k and for that to happen in 19 hours was unacceptable. Mine also blew a crank at 10 hours but Honda did step in and fix it. That was probably defect but I rarely see these cranks going past the 90 hour mark. Also, in '09 they had a cam decompressor recall. Make sure that was done. If not, do it before it breaks as it will ruin your ride and drop a piece of metal into the engine that does not come out (usually). I find the geometry of the bike strange, it has so much weight on the front tire and you have to run 115mm of sag just to balance it out, very strange setup. One last thing about '09 is the fuel filter. The newer bikes have an upgraded larger fuel filter on the pump but in '09 Honda had a lot of issues with it. I have replaced several for friends and when it fails, the bike loses fire and usually at the worst spot (hard on the throttle). I traded my '09 CRF for a '09 KX450 and loved it so much that I just bought the '12. I was dedicated Honda before the new platform but it simply was not the best all around bike. It did some things very well but at the expense of others and too much in one direction IMHO. For me the Jarring suspension was a deal breaker and due to the geometry of the chassis it really cannot be solved with suspension although stiffer fork springs and the Pro Circuit rear shock linkage are must haves.

If I would make a reccomendation, I would suggest you shy away from the '09. I had an '09 and while I am not a fan at all of the new Honda platform, the '11 or '12 is a much better bike, especially the '12. I am 6'3" and 210 so when I got my '09 (after coming from '07 CRF450) I couldn't believe how small it was. It literally did not fit me at all. I did love the feel in the air and the entry into turns but that was all. The bike is twitchy and terrible in light to medium Chop. Forget heavy braking bumps as they will beat you to death. Even if the weird handling does not bother you, mine cracked the frame and I have since seen 3 more do it in the exact same spot. You can still ride it as it is not a main spar or anything like that but I spent $8 k and for that to happen in 19 hours was unacceptable. Mine also blew a crank at 10 hours but Honda did step in and fix it. That was probably defect but I rarely see these cranks going past the 90 hour mark. Also, in '09 they had a cam decompressor recall. Make sure that was done. If not, do it before it breaks as it will ruin your ride and drop a piece of metal into the engine that does not come out (usually). I find the geometry of the bike strange, it has so much weight on the front tire and you have to run 115mm of sag just to balance it out, very strange setup. One last thing about '09 is the fuel filter. The newer bikes have an upgraded larger fuel filter on the pump but in '09 Honda had a lot of issues with it. I have replaced several for friends and when it fails, the bike loses fire and usually at the worst spot (hard on the throttle). I traded my '09 CRF for a '09 KX450 and loved it so much that I just bought the '12. I was dedicated Honda before the new platform but it simply was not the best all around bike. It did some things very well but at the expense of others and too much in one direction IMHO. For me the Jarring suspension was a deal breaker and due to the geometry of the chassis it really cannot be solved with suspension although stiffer fork springs and the Pro Circuit rear shock linkage are must haves.

Good info. Cant sayI disagree took much despite my very limited ride time thus far.

Good info. Cant sayI disagree took much despite my very limited ride time thus far.

You can do some searches on the Motocross action site. They detail the geometry issues and suspension issues. Many people dis agree with MXA but I found their insight into the problems with the new style CRF very informative and right on the money for the most part. I rode a friends '07 YZ450 the other day and was quite impressed. The motor did not rev much but boy did it have bottom end torque. Chassis felt neutral but the suspension was way too soft for me so it was hard to ride. I also rode a 2010 YZ with the radically new setup and it was good as well. The noise from the airbox up front takes some getting used to. I rode it at the end of the day when I was already beat and the track was gnarly so I really did not have an accurate test but it felt pretty good.

The '09 is sneaky fast, and probably beats the YZ on the dyno. It puts the power down in a controllable way.

I love the '09. The prices have come down, and in 3 hours, I could have the suspension and handling right where I like it. It's easy to say "buy the 2011, but you just went from $3500 to $5500.

Had on 09 YZ450 for 1.5 years. Moved to a 2011 crf450 in February. CRF is much better turning machine. Smoother power delivery. And better rider layout/ergonomics.

The YZ was a good machine, the 2011 CRF is much better. For what it's worth, just one man's opinion.

Had on 09 YZ450 for 1.5 years. Moved to a 2011 crf450 in February. CRF is much better turning machine. Smoother power delivery. And better rider layout/ergonomics.

The YZ was a good machine, the 2011 CRF is much better. For what it's worth, just one man's opinion.

That's what I wanted to hear... how's the suspension compare for compliance ?

That bike needs a new map . It was very easy to get too much power , without the expense of a pipe . Have it ' mapped' for the way you ride , if you like the rest of the bike , they are very durable , but do have a couple issues , nothing that cannot be rectified .