Sign in to follow this  

looking at a new 390??

Hey guys, I have been racing my trusty ole WR270 for two years now and it's time fore a new bike. Been thinking of the 390 for a new fourstroke or a 300 if I decide on a two stroke.

I've been reading a lot about overheating issues with the 4st and wanted to see if there's been anything done on the newer bikes to remedy that problem.

Can you guys give me some concerns and suggestions I should steer away from or look for?

thanks!:lol:

I've read a little about some FE390 gas tanks needing flush/ rinse out before using. Something about inside of tank being coated with some chemical during manufacturing that causes your fuel injector to get plugged up. (?) - They may have already resolved, but make sure to quiz your dealer.

I was looking at the same bike to replace my WRF (290). There is a whole "new" FE being released in June '12. I decided to wait until then.

My FE450 has only overheated when my injector was partially clogged, causing it to run lean. They do run hot, but they shouldn't overheat. The engine design is high up, so the engine heats up the fuel in the tank.

Most people put reflective heat tape on the bottom of the tank and the fan kit is a must. Some people also wrap the exhaust mid pipe.

The main issues have been related to the fuel pump and clogged injectors. I am not sure what the white gunk is that is in some tanks. Mine had it. Some think it is a mold release of some kind. Another theory is that it is Ethanol deposits. Either way, Ethanol can cause grief. It has a short shelf life. So I use fuel with an injector cleaner in it (ie, Chevron or Texaco) and I use stabilizer when my bike sits for more than 4 weeks or so.

As long as your keep your fuel clean, the fuel injection is awesome.

There were a number of bikes that have had the fuel pump fail. A replacement is covered under warranty.

I picked up a new '11' 390 yesterday that I plan to use as a trail hopper.

Any 4-st will over heat, especially when you add extra clutching.

For racing I'm still hard core 2-stroke but this bike could change my mind.

Had the competition map flashed to the ECU and I'm suprised how well it runs.

My biggest 4-st complaint is weight and engine braking.

Weight is OK and there is near zero engine braking, (I was told this but didn't believe it till I tired one)

First thing with any 4-st is to get it breathing well by eliminating the screw in screen, and richen it up.

For a little more boost change the silencer all together.

Add a fan kit if its a real concern.

I too have heard there may be new designs released for the 2013 model year.

But, deals on '11' bikes are really killer right now.

I got to look'n a bit today. All I saw was a yellow frame on the 390 and a valve spring retention component. Doesn't seem like alot. I'll have to do a little more looking. My WR has never had an overheating issue even when just idling through tight stuff but then it doesn't make the power a FE does either...I think I may be a little on the rich side too which doesn't hurt the heat aspect either.

WRs are very reliable bikes. My buddy's 250F has half again bigger rads than my Berg 450. The fan kit is a must really.

The Berg design is awesome though. My friend's WR450 handles like a shopping cart next to my precise easy steering flickable 'Berg. :) I do respect the WRs though. Most reliable competition level 4Ts on the planet. Good power and close to unbreakable.

I went with the '10 FE450 last season though. The deal on my low hours demo bike was too good to pass up and I am pushing 50 years old. The mild life urge said "go with the cool bike" :lol:

I got to look'n a bit today. All I saw was a yellow frame on the 390 and a valve spring retention component. Doesn't seem like alot. I'll have to do a little more looking. My WR has never had an overheating issue even when just idling through tight stuff but then it doesn't make the power a FE does either...I think I may be a little on the rich side too which doesn't hurt the heat aspect either.

This might help make up your mind on the FE 390. After I did the fan and tank wrap and Evans coolant, my DRZ 400 E Overheats before the Husaberg. My buddy is borrowing my DRZ when we ride right now.

This was the First race on my new Husaberg 390 FE. HGP Century Farms. US southern MO/ Richland. :lol:

old man dave 59....which tank wrap are you using? Is it pre-cut or did you piece together yourself using std size heat reflecting materials?

old man dave 59....which tank wrap are you using? Is it pre-cut or did you piece together yourself using std size heat reflecting materials?

Dwight at 417 powersports in Springfield Mo installed it, I think from Husaberg, He did this for free so I don't know the cost or fee. It looks custom and fits great. :lol:

Going to call today because I found a hole in the Y connector behind radiators from last crash.The 3 hoses and y connector sold together for $90.00. I will ask about tank wrap.

Edited by old man dave 59

I used DEI reflective tape from Autozone for the bottom of my tank, still sticking fine. I plan to ceramic coat the pipe this winter.