Sign in to follow this  

Work Outs for Riding

I just recovered from a broken fibula im trying to find a good full body training guide. What are some good training plans for getting ready to race?

jason raines has some very good instructional videos to strengthen your core...he has some of them posted here...you can also google on his name and you tube will give you a bunch...

I do a lot of work in the gym, it really helps my stamina and strength to control my bike on the track.

I spend a good amount of time on the bike at the gym (and recently my new mountain bike). I try to work every muscle group, but mostly chest, legs, and back.

I often for my check will lay a bar almost on the ground and use it to do pushups (simulates handlebars). I will also go really low and move laterally for as long as I can stand on the bar.

Lots of legs workouts and hyperextensions for the back.

Concept 2 rower, start small 2k meters under 10 minutes and go up from there. Shoot for 10K meters under 40 minutes on level 6 or higher. Core workouts, Jason Raines has some great videos on workouts. Planks, plank rows/weighted, more planks. Try and get into some spin classes a couple times a week, great low impact cardio.

Glad to hear you back on the mend!

For me, to recover and get my leg back stronger I did a ton of single leg exercises. Exercises such as sinlge leg squats, leg extensions, calf raises and reverse curls. If you do "dual leg" exercises I feel you over compensate with your "good" leg.

As far as workouts that are "riding" specific, I recommend a mixture of the fllowing: cardio, strength, flexibilty, quickness and balance.

As a motorcycle rider, we have to try and utilize every muscle in our body! So do different stuff everyday. Don't just run everyday or bicycle or row, do a combination so you can get a more diverse range.

Like with weight training for example, say bench press. Good exercises, but if done on a bench it only good for your upper body. Try doing a dumbell bench press on a exercise ball with one leg raised (and the other on the floor). Now you are working your upper body as well as your core and balance!

Like I said, any workout (P90X, cross fit, insanity, etc) is good, just mix it up and don't always do the same things.

If you do cardio on say a treadmill, if you run 20 minutes forward, you need to run 20 minutes backward! Always do anything you can to keep your muscles guessing.

Have a great day, talk to you soon!

Jason

Glad to hear you back on the mend!

For me, to recover and get my leg back stronger I did a ton of single leg exercises. Exercises such as sinlge leg squats, leg extensions, calf raises and reverse curls. If you do "dual leg" exercises I feel you over compensate with your "good" leg.

As far as workouts that are "riding" specific, I recommend a mixture of the fllowing: cardio, strength, flexibilty, quickness and balance.

As a motorcycle rider, we have to try and utilize every muscle in our body! So do different stuff everyday. Don't just run everyday or bicycle or row, do a combination so you can get a more diverse range.

Like with weight training for example, say bench press. Good exercises, but if done on a bench it only good for your upper body. Try doing a dumbell bench press on a exercise ball with one leg raised (and the other on the floor). Now you are working your upper body as well as your core and balance!

Like I said, any workout (P90X, cross fit, insanity, etc) is good, just mix it up and don't always do the same things.

If you do cardio on say a treadmill, if you run 20 minutes forward, you need to run 20 minutes backward! Always do anything you can to keep your muscles guessing.

Have a great day, talk to you soon!

Jason

as a 40+ year old guy who has never been worried about his health. but, recently became aware, and starting to get very serious about becoming fit, i found this response extremely helpfull! especially since riding is going to be my main weapon to achieve that goal. i need to workout, to get in shape to go workout LOL.