Work Outs for Riding

I do a lot of work in the gym, it really helps my stamina and strength to control my bike on the track.

I spend a good amount of time on the bike at the gym (and recently my new mountain bike). I try to work every muscle group, but mostly chest, legs, and back.

I often for my check will lay a bar almost on the ground and use it to do pushups (simulates handlebars). I will also go really low and move laterally for as long as I can stand on the bar.

Lots of legs workouts and hyperextensions for the back.

Concept 2 rower, start small 2k meters under 10 minutes and go up from there. Shoot for 10K meters under 40 minutes on level 6 or higher. Core workouts, Jason Raines has some great videos on workouts. Planks, plank rows/weighted, more planks. Try and get into some spin classes a couple times a week, great low impact cardio.

Glad to hear you back on the mend!

For me, to recover and get my leg back stronger I did a ton of single leg exercises. Exercises such as sinlge leg squats, leg extensions, calf raises and reverse curls. If you do "dual leg" exercises I feel you over compensate with your "good" leg.

As far as workouts that are "riding" specific, I recommend a mixture of the fllowing: cardio, strength, flexibilty, quickness and balance.

As a motorcycle rider, we have to try and utilize every muscle in our body! So do different stuff everyday. Don't just run everyday or bicycle or row, do a combination so you can get a more diverse range.

Like with weight training for example, say bench press. Good exercises, but if done on a bench it only good for your upper body. Try doing a dumbell bench press on a exercise ball with one leg raised (and the other on the floor). Now you are working your upper body as well as your core and balance!

Like I said, any workout (P90X, cross fit, insanity, etc) is good, just mix it up and don't always do the same things.

If you do cardio on say a treadmill, if you run 20 minutes forward, you need to run 20 minutes backward! Always do anything you can to keep your muscles guessing.

Have a great day, talk to you soon!

Jason

• 3 weeks later...
Glad to hear you back on the mend!

For me, to recover and get my leg back stronger I did a ton of single leg exercises. Exercises such as sinlge leg squats, leg extensions, calf raises and reverse curls. If you do "dual leg" exercises I feel you over compensate with your "good" leg.

As far as workouts that are "riding" specific, I recommend a mixture of the fllowing: cardio, strength, flexibilty, quickness and balance.

As a motorcycle rider, we have to try and utilize every muscle in our body! So do different stuff everyday. Don't just run everyday or bicycle or row, do a combination so you can get a more diverse range.

Like with weight training for example, say bench press. Good exercises, but if done on a bench it only good for your upper body. Try doing a dumbell bench press on a exercise ball with one leg raised (and the other on the floor). Now you are working your upper body as well as your core and balance!

Like I said, any workout (P90X, cross fit, insanity, etc) is good, just mix it up and don't always do the same things.

If you do cardio on say a treadmill, if you run 20 minutes forward, you need to run 20 minutes backward! Always do anything you can to keep your muscles guessing.

Have a great day, talk to you soon!

Jason

as a 40+ year old guy who has never been worried about his health. but, recently became aware, and starting to get very serious about becoming fit, i found this response extremely helpfull! especially since riding is going to be my main weapon to achieve that goal. i need to workout, to get in shape to go workout LOL.