Sign in to follow this  

New To 2011-12 RMZ - Any things to watch for or do? AA Racer loving new RMZ!

I had about Six 2008 RMZ 250's and i finally made the move to EFI and i was wondering if there is anything that i should watch for? i know on the 2008 u had to be carefull not to overtighten the oil drain bolt or the threads would easily strip..anything like this i should know?

Also, i have done the following

Dr D pipe

evans coolant with Boyeseen Super Cooler and high pressure cap (using bike offroad)

Hydro Clutch,

Hinson pressure plate and inner hub, 2008 basket didnt fit:lame:

FC Suspension,

13/52 gearing but may go to a 51.

TGT suspension bars

Red EBC rear pads with solid rotor and 18" wheel.

50% pump and 50% VP 4.4 but will go 100 VP 4.4 when racing

Any one clogging injectors?

Supposed to get a Vortext ignition soon...

i dont think that you have to worry about anything that your previous bikes didnt run into, iv got 36 hours riding track and ill ive done is slightly adjust the valves and parked it for the winter. if you keep up on regular maintenance the bike should be good to go. clogged injector? i have not encountered or heard of a clogged injector on the rmz's. they are after all the first (of the big five) to bring it to the table and i believe they have a great system, and an awesome bike!

watch the tranny. soon as you see chunks on the drain plug you better get inside.

RMZ250 2011

Bolt on that 51t rear sprocket and not lose top end speed at the end of the straight'

Spark Plug cap comes loose (shove a rolled up rag on top of it for reassurance).

Coolant leaks (overheats and boils through low pressure radiator cap when running too lean/high load go to a 14psi)

Loctite EVERYTHING!

Watch for loose spokes after only a few laps!

Be prepared to modify/cleanup gearbox drum/gears/spring

We had a Airbox that cracked from the drain plug up to the fender

if you change the pipe, you'll need to remap.

RMZ250 2011

Spark Plug cap comes loose (shove a rolled up rag on top of it for reassurance).

Do the 2011 not have the bracket that holds the sparkplug in place?

PART # 33414-49H00 RETAINER, IGNITION COIL

Do the 2011 not have the bracket that holds the sparkplug in place?

PART # 33414-49H00 RETAINER, IGNITION COIL

No retainer bracket like the 2010

I am noticing that the bikes does hit neutral quite often....other than that, its awesome!

I have a Vortext ignition & ECU coming this week, Tokyo Mods programed it knowing i have a Pipe and VP 4.4

I wanted to use my Hinson Basket from 08, but with the 08 idler gear on it, it didnt fit. Hinson said that it can be modified to work in a 11 model with a part that i could order, then they called me back and said it wouldnt work..

yes you must use positive shifts on the rmz or you may get between gears when shifting, if its dropping out of gear while riding it needs to be looked at. it might be interesting for you to know that the shifter on the rmz250 hasnt changed since 2007, the new frame design shortens the distance from the peg to the shifter even more than previouse models. this can contribute to missing shifts for anyone who doesnt have a small boot. try a longer shifter. also, there is a detent spring mod that some have found to help firm up the shifting action and prevent getting between the gears while shifting, i have yet to try this...