Sign in to follow this  

stripped thread rocker cover 350sxf

i over tightened one of the rocker cover bolts on my 350sxf

can i remover the cam cover that has the threads without having to mess with the timing? reason i dont want to get into timing right now is i dont have a repair manual and cant get one till tuesday if its in stock. i would like to just remove the cam cover repair the thread and bolt it back on and go ride cos i just got my suspension done and wanna test it out.

the bike has less than 10hours and ive never messed with timing before so would want to wait till i have step by step instruction manual till i tackle that, i have read the 250sxf valve adjustment and shimming thread and i just dont feel that comfortable with it

thanks for your help in advance

i had the cam bridge bolt hole strip on my '07 450 sx-f. The rocker cover mounts into that bolt hole. you have to remove rocker cover, then remove cam bridge. can almost guarantee you need to take that cam bridge in to get a heli-coil at your local machine shop. I was lucky and my guy charged me $10.

you can NOT replace the cam bridge. They are only sold as a unit, with a new cylinder head= big $$$$. Machinist told me that might be because they are line bored to match head.

just be careful to not disturb cams at all. you have to remove these same bridges to adjust valve shims, so you won't put anything out of time unless you move the cams or turn the crank.

ok cool thanks ill make sure i dont move anything.

it was a silly mistake on my behalf i read the wrong torque setting and over tighten the bolt

I stripped one on my 07 450sxf, so I just installed 4 heli coils at the same time, super easy job.

got it done today cos $15 from a local machine shop that was better than $40 for the kit

thanks for your help guys

the cam bridges are 14 Nm, and the valve cover is 8 Nm. your torque wrench should show the standard equivalent. my machinist said to go a bit lighter on the valve cover spec.

i hear ya on the kit; they are expensive to buy.

i looked in the owners manual and it shows 8 Nm and then in brackets (5.9 lbs ft) it was my **** up i just read 8 and set it as lbs on the torque wrench and i guess the 2lbs on that one thread was too much for it

i learned the hard way but at least i took the time to use a torque wrench

I hear ya. another common mistake is when they give specs for clearances (like plug gap or valve lash) in both metric/standard.

my very experienced machinist told me 6 Nm is even better, because the bolt holes can strip so easily. He reasoned it's easier to keep an eye on them & re-tighten, than to strip holes. In our case, the one stripped hole meant oil was leaking out the top end to the point we couldn't ride. there are only 3 bolts holding on that cover, as I recall.