Sign in to follow this  

Kx100 excessive oil on chain

I just picked up an 02 KX100. I don't know alot about these bikes but it seems they have self lubricating chains. There seems to be excessive oil on the front sprocket. Is that normal? If not, what is going on? Thanks.

chains are not self lubricating. you should lube it before every ride. oil from the front sprocket indicates a blown countershaft seal and or bad sealing ring and o-rings. and sometimes its just excessive chain spooge.

92152 and 92055 (x2)

http://www.ronayers.com/Fiche/TypeID/26/Type/Side_Covers/MakeID/3/Make/Kawasaki/YearID/45/Year/2004/ModelID/2894/Model/KX100/GroupID/68249/Group/Transmission

seal: 92049A

http://www.ronayers.com/Fiche/TypeID/26/Type/Side_Covers/MakeID/3/Make/Kawasaki/YearID/45/Year/2004/ModelID/2894/Model/KX100/GroupID/68252/Group/Crankcase

So, here are some follow up questions:

1. Is the condition serious, as in don't run the bike?

2. Are the repairs difficult? Or, are they easy enough to tackle in a weekend for a relatively mechanically inclined individual. It looks from the drawing that the engine will need to be completely disassembled.

Thanks.

The seal and o-rings can be replaced without disassembling the motor. It The collar pulls out after the sprocket is off. The seal removal with take a bit of prying and finagling but it's doable.

sean - there are 2 part numbers listed for the collar - the one you gave and 92027. The specs are different on each. Which one is correct? On another vendor site, the one you provided is not available. Just want to make sure I get the correct one.

BTW - thanks for the pictorial - excellent!

sean - there are 2 part numbers listed for the collar - the one you gave and 92027. The specs are different on each. Which one is correct? On another vendor site, the one you provided is not available. Just want to make sure I get the correct one.

His thread was for a KDX200 and was only posted for a job reference

and 92027 isnt a part number,its a reference number. every bike will have multiple 92027 as that number only classifies the type of part. for example, for the most part almost all seals are 92049-xxxx, bearings are almost always 92045-xxx

the collar you need is 92152-0195

ye athta thread is for a kdx, to follow for procedure only, dont copy that parts list, use the fiche i linked above or here it is again

http://www.ronayers.com/Fiche/TypeID/26/Type/Motorcycle/MakeID/3/Make/Kawasaki/YearID/43/Year/2002/ModelID/4243/Model/KX100

When I bought my KDX it had a "self lubricating" chain on it's first test ride.

I drained the oil to repair the CS seal and found the PO had overfilled the trans by half a liter. I refilled with the correct amount (850ml) and it doesn't leak.

The collars are different, 1 is designed to accept 1 o-ring the other 2 o-rings.

Pay attention to the year of the bike, don't order parts until you know if yours has the 1 or 2 o-ring setup.

Let's be accurate here.