Sign in to follow this  

refurbishing alloy

while im waiting for a crank and new bearings to arrive for my spare motor (cr500). i wanted to clean up the exterior of the cases.

on my other motor, i polished the cases by hand. i love how it came up so i was thinking of doing the same to my spare motor.

it there an easy way to do it other than old school polish and polishing rag?

ive heard people use soft mediums in grit blasters. eg, nut shells etc and it has a similar effect and much less time consuming.

any ideas?

Soda blaster, thats what i am going to try, there are some threads on this already, you can make one quite easily, have a google search.

I've been researching this as well. I flip a lot of bikes, so when i have the cases apart, nothing looks better than a sparling new engine. I've heard soda blasting tends to be the best, bc if anything gets into the bearings, you can just wash it out. I tried sandblasting a scrap engine case that I had, but the surface texture wasn't what I was after, it was way too rough, not to mention the blasting medial was all inside the bearings.

Another Idea is to take them to a transmission or engine shop and have them professionally cleaned either by ultrasonic cleaning or just a old fashion hot tank. I called my local shop up and he said he could do it. I'm looking for something cheap and economical so we'll see how well it works and how cheap.

thestuz, you said you hand polished your old cases? doesn't that take forever?

yeah it took a fairly long time to polish them by hand. i ended up with sore fingers from trying to get into those hard to reach places lol.

just used wire brushes, 1200grit wet rub sand paper and metal polish.

it has dulled over the years but still looks great.

and easy to get back to sparkling.

i might look into the hot tank idea too.