Sign in to follow this  

Needin' a Radiator

Over the weekend I very gently dropped my bike because the front wheel slid out from under me at about walking speed. It was just a muddy rut in a cow pasture. It happend really quickly and I just let it go down instead of hurting myself trying to save it. It was sort of funny, until I saw anti-freeze dripping out of the right radiator. I couldn't believe it was so delicate....I know I should have installed guards, but I had NO idea such a light fall could cause that.

Anyway, I'm shopping for a right radiator. I've been on ebay and see 2 Chinese (L&R side) for $110 delivered. Fluidyne for $200 each. And OEM used up for bids, so who knows the final price.

Found a guy on CL with a used one for $75 delivered. He says it doesn't leak, but it's slightly tweaked. I don't think I want to risk the hassle of that. Maybe for $35, but not for $75.

Mylers has been suggested, but a guy on ADVrider said he'd had bad results with a repair from them. (2 cores were welded shut)

So, I'm thinking OEM used would be my best option, undamaged of course.

But was wondering if any of you guys have any experience with the ones for $110 from ebay/china. I don't see how they could be any weaker than OEM was.

I'm planning to get a larger plastic gas tank with built-in radiator shrouds, since my damage was caused by a side impact. I'm thinking that I'd rather put the $100 that Unibiker guards would cost into a larger tank which will also protect the radiators. Does that "make sense" to you guys (those who have the big shrouded tanks)?

Edited by E.Marquez
Removed want ad

Mine are pretty beat up, crushed more than an inch into the frame but no leaks in three years I've owned the bike. Only started to leak after I tried to straighten one of the hose barbs :lol:

I'm getting the chinese ones, can't beat the price. I looked at the guy's feedback and nobody has complained about the quality or fit, he has sold a few DRZ400 radiators.

Keep in mind too that rad guards not only protect from side impacts, they are also going to keep pesky rocks and stray sticks from punching holes through the front.

I have a 4.9 gallon clarke tank and the shrouds protect from the sides, but I also run uni biker rad guards.

In my eyes I would rather spend the $150 for uni's and avoid your dilema completely... $150 up front as appose to $200 everytime a stick decides you no longer need coolant.

To each his own :lol:

Mine are pretty beat up, crushed more than an inch into the frame but no leaks in three years I've owned the bike. Only started to leak after I tried to straighten one of the hose barbs :lol:

I'm getting the chinese ones, can't beat the price. I looked at the guy's feedback and nobody has complained about the quality or fit, he has sold a few DRZ400 radiators.

When are you ordering them? I'd like to hear your opinion after you get them installed.

Mylers.. Hands down,, for every one unconfirmed complaint I've ever read.. I’ve never seen a bad repair, on dozens I've had done for my own bikes of one’s I’m working on.

So in order I’d repair a OEM one, if not crushed beyond repair.,

Buy a new set of Chinese ones, mostly because I’ve not done so yet and want to try them.

Buy a set of FLUIDYNE

Buy used OEM and know I’ll likely have to send them to Mylers to have repaired.

I've used Myler's multiple times and have always been happy with the service.

Quick one day turn around, affordable, And great customer service. You can also have your OEM rads reinforced through them.

Thank for the advice.

Looks like I'll probably be fine whichever way I choose.:lol:

When are you ordering them? I'd like to hear your opinion after you get them installed.

I'll post up as soon as I install them in a similar thread I started last week. Ordering parts takes from 2-3 weeks for me here in Tijuana, it's a huge waste of ridin' time.

I went ahead and ordered the $110 pair. Seemed like the simplest thing to do. Now I need to decide which tank to get to help protect them. Been wanting a bigger tank anyway.

Any recommendations?

My radiators arrived today. :lol: They look great. $110 for the pair, free shipping. Each came in seperate factory box, and sealed in a plastic bag. Mishimoto brand, 100% lifetime warranty. I only needed the right one, so I opened it to check out the quality and was surprised to see that the cap was included.

I don't need the left one, so I'll post it in the classifieds here & on ADVrider. Bike stuff seems to pile up around here, need to quite being lazy and post it.

My radiators arrived today. :banghead: They look great. $110 for the pair, free shipping. Each came in seperate factory box, and sealed in a plastic bag. Mishimoto brand, 100% lifetime warranty. I only needed the right one, so I opened it to check out the quality and was surprised to see that the cap was included.

I don't need the left one, so I'll post it in the classifieds here & on ADVrider. Bike stuff seems to pile up around here, need to quite being lazy and post it.

For the price you paid I would keep the LHS Rad as a spare....:lol:

P.S. I have been sneaking some spares into the house for storage...The ceiling space or the spare room is a couple of places I use.......:)

For the price you paid I would keep the LHS Rad as a spare....:lol:

P.S. I have been sneaking some spares into the house for storage...The ceiling space or the spare room is a couple of places I use.......:banghead:

once again ... right on the money !!

:)