Sign in to follow this  

front tire washes out on left turns...

i am stumped here. i was out yesterday riding my 08 yz250f this is the first time i have ridden this bike and the problem i am having is the front tire feels like its gonna wash out from under the bike making left turns. right turns are fine. at first i thought it was me so i asked my buddy to ride the bike and tell me how it feels. i did not tell him about the wash feeling after 10 mins on the bike he gives it back and says man how u riding that thing the front tire washes out on left turns... now the tire is not in the best condition but its not beat and the wheel bearing are beat could a mix of those two give that feeling and why only on left turns?

can a mod please move this to general dirt bike please. it will probally get more views and its not really yamaha specific i realized this after i posted it....sorry

Moat likely the front end is twisted up a little bit. Take the wheel off, loosen up the triple clamps, then re-assemble.

i just did fork seals so thats possible...

I had a crash once and didn't notice anything out of alignment, but for the next few following track days i would wash out to one side in corners. I disassembled the front end, put it back together and it was back to normal. So it's a very good possibility you didn't align everything properly.

I found this procedure on transworld from back in 2006:

Required Tools/Materials:

Appropriate combination or box-end wrench

Torque wrench with appropriate socket

Waterproof grease

Shop rags

Scrubbing pad

Step 1: Install Front Axle

Jonathan reminded us not to hammer the front axle into place. Doing so can damage the end of the axle and prevent the front forks from properly aligning. “If you’ve got everything clean and properly lubed, the axle should slide in without problems,” said the Yamaha mechanic.

Your axle definitely needs a thin layer of grease, but it must be clean first. Before reinstalling the axle be sure to clean off any buildup. You know that black junk on there you always just ignore? Clean it off! Start with a shop rag, and then use a scrubbing pad to really make the axle shine. Don’t forget to also clean the inside of the hub, rubber dust seals and collars.

Step 2: Tighten Front Axle and Brake-Side Pinch Bolts

“After the axle is in place, the next step is to tighten the axle bolt and the brake-side pinch bolts,” explained Belding. With this side tightened down, you can move to the other side of the wheel and make sure everything is aligned.

Step 3: Align Front Fork

“To align the front fork, push and pull on the bottom of the fork assembly to make sure the fork moves freely on the axle. You can feel where the happy medium is in the center. If it’s pushed in too far, or pulled out that can cause binding and it won’t feel the same. Just work it until you feel it settle,” said Belding.

Sounds easy enough. Check out the photos on the right to see examples of what Jonathan has described.

Step 4: Tighten the Remaining Front Pinch Bolts

Your last step is to tighten the two remaining front pinch bolts to the proper torque, and you’re good to go!

Can I ask a dumb question before you go looking for a technical solution? How is your body position on left vs right turns? Are you left/right handed and do you tens to crash to one side? Are you perhaps just favoring one over the other?

if your new to riding it's probably mental more then anything. I've ridden on some twisted set ups after a crash and never had it cause the front end to wash out.

release air pressure in both forks and make sure clicker adjustments are even. thats the first thing i would do

Can I ask a dumb question before you go looking for a technical solution? How is your body position on left vs right turns? Are you left/right handed and do you tens to crash to one side? Are you perhaps just favoring one over the other?
if your new to riding it's probably mental more then anything. I've ridden on some twisted set ups after a crash and never had it cause the front end to wash out.

i am no noob to a bike. i am a B class racer and my buddy that rode the bike and had the same problem as i did is a A class racer so i am confident to say tis the bike..