Sign in to follow this  

08 KLR650 fairing and mirror question

Hi all,

I just recently got an 08 KLR650 (candy lime green) and I was riding when I dropped the bike back on a muddy road and put three substantial cracks in the right lower fairing (silver). I have been looking for a place to buy a new one but I have been unsuccesful through google searches. I have seen other forums say they cost 120, but where do I go to purchase them? Also, I need to buy another mirror as it was damaged when dropping the bike as well.

In the future, I plan on buying crash bars. Thanks in advance for any responses. I am very new to riding and working on bikes but I'm looking forward to doing more of it.

Hi all,

I just recently got an 08 KLR650 (candy lime green) and I was riding when I dropped the bike back on a muddy road and put three substantial cracks in the right lower fairing (silver). I have been looking for a place to buy a new one but I have been unsuccesful through google searches. I have seen other forums say they cost 120, but where do I go to purchase them? Also, I need to buy another mirror as it was damaged when dropping the bike as well.

In the future, I plan on buying crash bars. Thanks in advance for any responses. I am very new to riding and working on bikes but I'm looking forward to doing more of it.

You could probably get it from the OEM catalog right here on the thumpertalk parts store, but the page keeps crashing when I try to select cowlings.

bikebandit.com has it, they cost a bit more. Once again, search for OEM parts.

My advice would be not to replace it right away. Like you said, you're a new rider. This won't be the first time you'll drop it. How many times are you going to replace your body work?

Take the fairing off and fiberglass it on the inside to hold it together, then reinstall it.

Position your mirrors on the bars so that the outside edges of the mirror don't extend out past the end of your bars. That will help keep them from breaking, as the bar end will hit the ground first.

Thanks for the advice, Trailryder. Yeah, I agree that I'll probably drop it again sometime. I'll have to look up how to fiberglass it like you said because I'm very green at this stuff but I'm trying to learn. I'll definitely do that with the mirrors. I have to buy another mirror and a blinker. I'll invest in some crash bars here soon.

I have been riding for a while, but I also dropped my 2008 red while putting it on the trailer. Bonehead move! I broke the same cowling part ($134.24 in the TT store). It cracked right up seam that runs from top to center. I just slapped some JB Weld on it and good to go. I know it is hard to resist getting it fixed like brand new, but in my experience, if you aren't dropping it once or twice a ride, you are probably not riding hard enough. :bonk: I have scraps and bruises all over mine. :smirk: