Sign in to follow this  

First time on RMZ-450

Saturday my friend picked up a bone stock 05 Rmz from the original owner who bought it in 07 from a dealer. I ride an 01 yz250 so I'd like to just share my experience of riding a big thumper for the first time.

1. The power was very linear. It makes power all the way from bottom to top without really noticing it. My yz pulls and the Rmz sort of just "goes", but don't take that the wrong way. When I got on it, it moved.....and moved quick.:banghead:

2. It reminds me of riding a utility atv. It seemed to me like the bike was point and go. The rear end wasn't as dancy and the front stayed planted which made it quite fun to just ride and take it easy for a little.

3. Engine breaking wasn't as much as I thought it to be. I found myself trying to engine break only to have to get on the real brakes.

4. The bike couldn't lug down low as my yz could. I was using the clutch more in the technical stuff with the rmz.

5. When the bike was hot she was very picky when starting. The hot choke seemed to help some but :)

Overall. It's a sweet bike and can't wait to swap with my buddie again this weekend. I always love to try out others toys when possible.:lol: Will I be picking up a big 450 in the future?......no......but they are awesome machines and quite intimadating when they are running besides you. Or behind:p

he's coming off of a two-stroke so that may have something to do with it

Very true. I'm use to 1 kick and off I go. With the rmz I was kicking it around 3 or 4 times. It isn't a deal breaker or anything thing, but just something I noticed. They are badass bikes though. They seem very compact when riding, and I can't stab at the throttle with it like my yz otherwise you'll be looking at the clouds.

yes, starting will be more difficult since your moving cams and valves and the motor firing every other revolution is a recipe for a harder starting bike.

you pretty much said it in your description" "...the RMZ sorta just goes..." and if your think the 05 is nimble in motion, you should try the 2011! i have been swapping bikes with a riding buddy on weekends and both of us are reluctant to give each others bike back lol... the only real big difference i noticed was at turn in you need more effort to lay the bike over and maybe in the air, but that MOTOR really makes up for it.

but if you gave me a 250 2T i would probably have a blast on that too and wouldn't wanna give it bake... HECK i love all of em!

yes, starting will be more difficult since your moving cams and valves and the motor firing every other revolution is a recipe for a harder starting bike.

you pretty much said it in your description" "...the RMZ sorta just goes..." and if your think the 05 is nimble in motion, you should try the 2011! i have been swapping bikes with a riding buddy on weekends and both of us are reluctant to give each others bike back lol... the only real big difference i noticed was at turn in you need more effort to lay the bike over and maybe in the air, but that MOTOR really makes up for it.

but if you gave me a 250 2T i would probably have a blast on that too and wouldn't wanna give it bake... HECK i love all of em!

So true man. Give me it, and I'll ride it :lol: