Sign in to follow this  

1988 CR500 Kickstart compatability?

Hey guys new here. Just got back into dirt bikes after a few years. I have a 88 CR 500 that is in awesome shape. Problem is I broke the kick start lever and they discontinued them. Really sucks...

Anybody know the compatibly as far as what years fit?

Good thing I have my XR 500 to ride in the mean time...:lol:

'85-88 kickers interchange. '89 and up bikes changed to the low pipe design and the kicker is different (and better) as a result. Those early kickers are nasty little crippling machines!

Yes, the '85-88 had the high pipes and the short, stubby little kickers. '89 and up have the low pipe and longer kickers. I doubt that the later kickers will work, but really don't know. I have read here or on one of the CR500riders websites that someone has adapted his steel XR600 kicker for his early model CR500, but I haven't seen it and don't know how well that worked out. I know I despise the kicker on my '88, but still prefer the high pipe.

Thanks for the reply's. I did find the correct one on eBay and ordered it. Also ordered a the low pipe style. Just to see if it can be adapted.

Yesterday I tried my XR 500 steel one and it would work with a bit of machining but is too tall and hits the pipe.