Sign in to follow this  

2010 450 SX-F Outer Clutch Basket Failure

All 8 rivets which secure the gear to the outer clutch basket sheared on my 2010 450 SX-F. Bike has right at 70 hours and is ridden easily. I'm a 51 year old vet rider who doesn't abuse the clutch at all. Anyone have this happen or ???

Any chance KTM would warranty?

TIA

Rick

I've heard of these failures for sure. Warranty? I highly doubt it. This is a reminder for me to check my basket again.

You're familiar with failures specific to my make and model bike or baskets in general?

I have the exact same bike and had the exact same problem. Happened at 64 hrs. I've got 30 hrs on the new basket and have been meaning to take it apart and check it. Did you notice that the 2012 clutch basket and gear is all one piece (no rivets)??......hmmmmmm. I never checked with my dealer about a warranty but I wish I would have...

You're familiar with failures specific to my make and model bike or baskets in general?

A number of late model KTM guys (2 and 4T) that come into our shop have talked about having to have replaced their clutch baskets due to cracking or granading.

A number of late model KTM guys (2 and 4T) that come into our shop have talked about having to have replaced their clutch baskets due to cracking or granading.

FWIW, mine has NO cracks and did not grenade. All 8 rivets sheared off. I got it shut down before significant damage occurred.

Yeah i had 2 clutch baskets shatter on 2 different ktm 450's, one had 25 hours on it and the other not even 10....