Sign in to follow this  

Achilles tendon 3rd opinion

I recently had a problem while out riding. I was pushing my bike over some downed trees, and felt what I thought was something hitting me in the back of the right calf. I looked down but didn't see anything. No pain right away, not until I tried pushing again. Not the worst pain, mild, but a lot of strength gone. I rode for awhile longer, but ended it short. I could still walk but putting weight on my right toes hurt. I went to the walk-in, and the lady put me on a table on my stomach, and ran her fingers up and down my calf. No major pain or bruising, and my foot will still point and contract. She wasn't sure, so she called Orthopedics who came and did about the same thing, then recommended an MRI. Hoping to get that scheduled this week before T-day.

That said, they both told me that given the extent of my injury, and my good circulation/health...that I may be able to avoid surgery. It may heal by itself?

I'm most concerned about doing further damage, or draggin out the down time. I've been given a prescription of RICE, and I'm stuck waiting. I've never heard of an Achilles tendon healing on it own...does that make sense?

Get to an orthopedic & get a better diagnosis. There are a couple ways you can go depending on your age & if you have a bad muscle strain or a partial/complete tear of the tendon.

• Like 1

Get to an orthopedic & get a better diagnosis. There are a couple ways you can go depending on your age & if you have a bad muscle strain or a partial/complete tear of the tendon.

Thank you for your post. I'm feeling the same way. Being that it's Thanksgiving, I am having trouble scheduling anything without going into the ER. Should I just go, or is it ok to be careful with it til next week?

Any help greatly appreciated

Brett

Finally got in to see a Dr today, and he feels 99.9% sure that all of my tendons are still connected, and I've most likely damaged one of the smaller muscles.

So I'm in a holding pattern. The swelling has gone down, along with any bruising. It still hurts to push off, or tip up onto my toes...but it's better.

Hobblin and gobblin...gained 5lbs so far. Bummer sittin around.

Get to physical therapy where they can help the healing process & work to keep you fit while you are healing.

Get to physical therapy where they can help the healing process & work to keep you fit while you are healing.

Will do. :lol:

Much thanks for your reply. :)

things are going good...got out for a day in the woods(aka river-swamp)...and all went well. Still chicken putting my right leg out, but other than some general soreness, lookin forward to full recovery.

Is it common for these things to hurt randomly while healing? I've had off and on pain...mostly off, but some days I woke up and it would hurt for a couple hours, then it would go away. I would only do the stretching exercises when it didn't hurt. Just wondering.

Brett

When a muscle strain/tear heals, scar tissue/adhesions can develop. They may tear loose when your activitiy resumes. This is a normal part of the healing, & depending on how severe your muscles were injured, may continue for awhile.

Gradual return to exercise gets the blood moving throught he muscle.

Some deep massage usually helps break up the scarring & increase blood flow to the area.