Sign in to follow this  

Keep loosing masterlink clip

I have lost three masterlink clips now. Its getting old!

Is there any way that I can fix it in location, IE- devcon or resin it to secure it in place? I am not looking to lock it, but to provide a duplicate safety mechanism.

FYI- I am an aircraft mechanic and a mechanical engineer, so I know how to install them.

I have checked tracking, NDN

Everything mechanically looks good

I ride 110 miles of freeway everyday and do about 50 miles in the desert every weekend and the clips last no longer than 2 weeks max before I loose them.

are you putting the open end of the master link facing the rear of the bike? ( master link on top)

you want the closed end going forward.

Kenny

Get a rivet link and use that. No more worries....ever.

Properly installed three piece spring clip master link is as good as any riveted chain master.. Easier to remove and clean, service the wheel, sprockets, swing arm, and the masters are cheap to replace so just toss a new one on every 10,000 miles or a few R&R's and your good on the minimal wear they take.

Most of the time three piece master link failure is due to incorrect install:

Did you spread the clip to install? or place it on top of the link pins and snap (slide)in to place? many folks incorrectly seat one "leg" of the clip on eh side of the pins then lever the other "leg" over the pins. this just ruins the clip, and makes it prone to come off.

With the master installed, and on top of the swing arm.. was the closed end of the clip facing the front of the bike? It needs to be so the clip is "pushed" in to place as it rotates around the CS sprocket, and through the chain guide.

I have lost three masterlink clips now. Its getting old!

Is there any way that I can fix it in location, IE- devcon or resin it to secure it in place? I am not looking to lock it, but to provide a duplicate safety mechanism.

FYI- I am an aircraft mechanic and a mechanical engineer, so I know how to install them.

I have checked tracking, NDN

Everything mechanically looks good

I ride 110 miles of freeway everyday and do about 50 miles in the desert every weekend and the clips last no longer than 2 weeks max before I loose them.

you're doing something wrong during install, or spinning the wheel backwards with a wholllllllllle bunch of trash in it and loosening the spring clip.

what are you using to snap the clip into place before installing the spring clip ?

are you sure about the proper installation of the spring clip ?

take a picture of your clip on the bike, top of swing arm.

Get a rivet link and use that. No more worries....ever.

+1 saves checking the clip every ride.

Try this

Next trick is - once the link plate is pressed on far enough to allow the clip to seat in the groove and the clip has been installed correctly (pushed on laterally) and faces the correct direction (tail to the rear on the upper run). Now the link plate should be pried out just enough to bear against the clip so the clip does not flop around on the pins. More to assembling a master link than just putting the clip on.

Also a clip that is installed facing the wrong direction will be lost very quickly as it goes thru the rear chain guide.

Try this

Next trick is - once the link plate is pressed on far enough to allow the clip to seat in the groove and the clip has been installed correctly (pushed on laterally) and faces the correct direction (tail to the rear on the upper run). Now the link plate should be pried out just enough to bear against the clip so the clip does not flop around on the pins. More to assembling a master link than just putting the clip on.

Also a clip that is installed facing the wrong direction will be lost very quickly as it goes thru the rear chain guide.

Amen. I've done this consistently and have never lost a link (knock wood). I use my chain breaker to pull the link back out slightly.

Make sure ya have the proper master for your chain. If the pins are too long it can flop around and pop the clip off. everything should fit snug. Also if chain/rear wheel alignment is off it can pop the clip.

Put the bike on a stand and carefully watch how the link goes through the chain guide forward and backward. If the guide block is worn on the sides from the link pins you can see how a properly installed clip can catch on the block when your rolling backward.

Could you do us a public service, and tell us what airline you work for?

I'm joking, but something is not right, I suspect the master links your getting are not the exact ones matched to your chain.

I've never lost a clip on any bike, in 40 years of riding off-road. Although I did launch one during an installation, never found it.

After that I bought "master link" plyers... not really needed, but they work.

Follow the instalation procedures outlined in the previous posts. Once your sure its on properly,safety wire the clip to the outside plate. I've roadraced for years and everyone I know has done it this way. Cant recall a failure. Good luck

Pete

Thanks for all the help guys!

I used the rivit style tool to install the link so i think that I had too much gap and the clip just sat in the groove with no resistance. I pryed the link apart like .001 inch and felt it sit against the link now.

I double checked the direction- NDN (no defects noted)

Thanks again for your help guys and I will let you know

PS- i never pry them apart

I've also heard of people putting a dab of silicone sealant on the clip to help keep it on.

I myself have never had an issue with just installing it correctly(no sealant) and I've put hundreds of miles on the chains in the woods, going over logs, through mud..you name it, the DRZ has been there and I haven't lost a clip yet.

for a stationary piece, RTV works great. i tried it thrice on my clip, and each time the chain's oil and vibration from riding eventually meant there was no adhesion at all.

I wonder what kind of G forces a chain sees when it whips up/down in an off road environment.

mmm, now that i use spray wax, i wonder if it would help hold it all together ? lol

I've tossed clips and throw chains back in the day when the m link side plates were not press fit. Since then you don't hear about it much.

Since the press fit side plates aren't so easily removed., pulling the chain off for cleaning has been off my routine, so I go ahead and use rivet links if it's an option.