Sign in to follow this  

Painting Valve Cover

Hey guys, I really like the look of the red valve cover on the husky's and was curious if anyone had any tips on painting the drz valve cover. What kind of paint to use, and have any of you done this? I did a search and didnt really find any results. Is this even a good idea? Any info would be appreciated.:lol:

*Update*

6390545937_a724dc65c5_z.jpg

6390549863_0cfe224022_z.jpg

This is the original valve cover painted with engine enamel, Lets see how long it lasts..

Edited by omgshesaboy

I would say powder coat most likely to get a good look that will last.

Thats what I am going to do if I cant get a good answer as far as a DIY project goes. I love doing things myself, but I also like quality work and dont want to half ass somthing that is going to peel off after the first ride

Find a powder coater....You will be Sooo much happier with powder coat then paint. You can do paint but it's a lot of work, degrease, mask, degrease, coat with etching primer, paint.

It will scratch and such easier then powder coat.. And be a pain to clean (chem stripper, no media blast) then paint again.

Find a powder coater....You will be Sooo much happier with powder coat then paint. You can do paint but it's a lot of work, degrease, mask, degrease, coat with etching primer, paint.

It will scratch and such easier then powder coat.. And be a pain to clean (chem stripper, no media blast) then paint again.

thank you

Just emailed a local powder coating business, Pics will be up when its done!

thank you

Oh,and most powder coaters will want to sand or glass bead blast the part.. I would avoid that.. There are nooks and crevices that the blast media will stick in, until heat and vibration lets it drop out... right in to your engine. Soda Blast medium is ok, as it is removed with flushing of warm water easily :lol:

If you just have to have it blasted with other media.. i'd install the gasket, then bolt it down to a plate or piece of plywood. "sealing" the underside.. Then mask and plug the other openings, with rubber plugs. .. Clean well before removing the plugs and plate, then clean again.. LOTS.

Duplicolor engine paint sold by NAPA (at least here in WA) is very good and a cheap way to paint the cover and see if you like it. Not as durable as powder coat but quick and easy for an experiment.

Duplicolor engine paint sold by NAPA (at least here in WA) is very good and a cheap way to paint the cover and see if you like it. Not as durable as powder coat but quick and easy for an experiment.

Well i found another valve cover on ebay for 6$!! i just got done painting the original with some dupicolor engine enamel, It went on really thick and looks awesome. If it doesnt end up working out well im only set back like 15$ and I can send the new one out for a powder coat. This dang winter weather has me antsy, I cant ride so I want to work on my bike constantly. Pics when the paint is dry.

Well i found another valve cover on ebay for 6$!! i just got done painting the original with some dupicolor engine enamel, It went on really thick and looks awesome. If it doesnt end up working out well im only set back like 15$ and I can send the new one out for a powder coat. This dang winter weather has me antsy, I cant ride so I want to work on my bike constantly. Pics when the paint is dry.

let us know how well it lasts, looking to do this as well.

:lol:

Updated with pics in the first post

I have to admit that looks really good. Nice job :lol:

Looks great. Once installed, how much wear and tear does a valve cover get, anyway? It'll be fine, enjoy!

Looks real good. Now all you need to do is send the rest of the motor off to Eddie so it comes back with one of those cool SSW stickers, the black and white of the sticker would look really good on the red cover. :lol: