Sign in to follow this  

Friend of mine having truck issue

So he pulled his tranny and replaced both the pilot and throw out bearing and when he put it back together he started getting this loud clanking sound that is RPM dependent. It almost sounded like he put a diesel motor in the truck. We ripped the tranny back out of his truck and nothing seemed out of place.

Heres the video he took of it for you guys.

I'm going to go with cracked flywheel or clutch assembly, or not fully seated.

Sounds just like when the dual mass flywheels on the PSD's would go to hell.

PS-how stoned was the person narrating this video?

:lol: narrating and working on it, .........sounds like the aluminium plate behind the flywheel is hitting, where it was mauled out of place, hard to say w/o being there.
  • Like 1

:) narrating and working on it, .........sounds like the aluminium plate behind the flywheel is hitting, where it was mauled out of place, hard to say w/o being there.

Good point, did he get a prybar inbetween the tranny and engine block to seperate the units when doing the clutch. He may very well of dented the "tin" in between and its hitting the flywheel.

Good call aakmetz :lol:

So an interesting suggestion that we think it is, is that because he didn't press the fingers on the pressure plate like he was supposed to and that it didn't set properly leading to all the clutch chatter. We put it back together today but I had to leave before he bled all the lines and fired it up.

Issue has not been resolved, he fired it up today and is still having the clanking noise. He went to flush the fluids and found out coolant has been leaking into his oil so we're going to replace the head gasket. I don't think that would give us the clanking though, would it?

Issue has not been resolved, he fired it up today and is still having the clanking noise. He went to flush the fluids and found out coolant has been leaking into his oil so we're going to replace the head gasket. I don't think that would give us the clanking though, would it?

Unless the rod and main bearings are that fried....in that case, you'll be separating the trans from the engine again.

Sounds more like a rod knock.

If you're getting coolant in the oil, the block/head may be cracked.

Does the noise change when you push on the clutch? That would rule out the pressure plate.

it's a rod, a lifter or a nasty exhausts leak. really hard to tell for sure with a youtube video. but it's one of those three.

a cracked flywheel will sound alot like a rod knock. the best way to diagnose the noise is to get a large screw driver or prybar and press it against the block or trans and put your ear to the other end. you'll be able to hear the noise through it, or get an automotive stethoscope. This will tell you if it's in the trans, clutch, or engine area